Friday, August 22, 2008

 

The Fort redux

It's very rare for me to want to repeat visit an eatin' joint, but The Fort beckons this evening.

Been there, done that, but it's too cool not to return. The menu.

Last time, I had for an appetizer:

Roast Bison Marrow Bones -- A crown of bones simply roasted and served with a port-bison reduction, Hawaiian red salt and sourdough crostini's

And for an entree:

Scout Jim Baker's Mountain Man Steak -- 20 oz. Bone in Buffalo Ribeye - full of flavor for the mountain man in us all! Served with shallot-cheddar mashed potatoes and seasonal vegetable.

This time, I've narrowed my choices down to ...

Appetizers:

Bison Eggs -- Pickled quail eggs wrapped in house made buffalo sausage. Served with a raspberry-jalapeno jam. Our version of a "Scottish egg."

Or

Rocky Mountain Oysters -- Small bites battered and fried to a golden brown and served with a tangy "cocktail" sauce.

Or

Braised Bison Tongue - A Historian's Treat -- The 19th century's finest gourmet meat served with Fort toast and caper aioli.

I think I'm going with the tongue.

And entrees:

Smoke House Buffalo Ribs Platter -- Buffalo Ribs, slowly braised, smoked and smothered with our own tangy Jack Daniels BBQ sauce. Served with historical BBQ heirloom beans and seasonal vegetable.

Or

Elk Chop St. Vrain -- 14-ounce bone-in Rocky Mountain elk chop, grilled to perfection with wild Montana huckleberries. Served with white cheddar mashed potatoes and seasonal vegetables.

Or

Washtunkala Cast Iron Kettle -- Tender tips of Buffalo Tenderloin in a rich buffalo demi-glace with roasted green chiles, pearl onions, fresh thyme, fire-roasted corn and sunflower seeds. Just like the campfire! Served with Fort potatoes.

I'm totally torn on what to get for the entree.

--ER

Comments:
My mouth is watering. That vegetarian lentil soup I carried to work for lunch just is not going to do it.
 
:-)

BTW, I meant "It's very rare for me to want to repeat visit a high-falutin, expensive eatin' joint in a place with so much culinary variety."
 
Live deep and suck out all the marrow out of ... um ... the bison! :)

I used to think my Mother was somewhere between a total lunatic and a vampire for enjoying marrow. I'm glad my tastes have become more sophisticated or I would have really missed out on such yummy goodness.
 
First off, why does every restaurant say something is done "to perfection". As if they would advertise an offering thusly:
"Shark shanks basted in an off-hand manner and cooked until the underpaid, overworked "chef" decided it was time to remove them from the pan . . ."

I mean, come on.

As to marrow, just one word. Yum.

I acquired a taste for fried blood, and through it blood pudding, from my mother, who would make sure to pour thawed blood from meat packages in to frying pans. I especially love pig's blood, fried when it oozes out of a pork steak.

I would go with the Rocky Mountain Oysters for an appetizer, then the Elk Steak "grilled to perfection".
 
No man should ever eat another living being's testicles, it's against the guy code. Other than that, I say go for the Elk. How often can you get that?
 
Redo the marrow (prairie butter) and then do the tongue. Those are the real historic Mountain Man food there. The stew sound good too.

If they make and stuff their own bison sausage try that too. That's the French sausage le boudin de bufa of the Rockies. The French trappers would eat that by the yard (le metere).

Good eating!
 
While living in Boise I got to eat elk on a regular basis due to neighbors and friends who either were related to hunters or were hunters themselves. It's good stuff. And anything with huckleberries is going to be even better.
 
Result:

Marrow bones AND bison tongue.

Elk chop.

Doubletree hotel cookies and milk for dessert.

(Urp)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?