Sunday, May 25, 2008

 

Sunday dinner, drive ... and feline detente

Uno. The whole famn damily dined this afternoon at the Pig Out Palace! Brudder, Little Big Sister, Big Big Sister, Mr. Big Big Sister and Dr. ER and my own self (Urrp.)

Two-0. There was appropriate oohing and ahhing over my new wheels. Twenty-five mpg, by the way, after three-quarter tank of roughly half-and-half city and highway driving. Saaaa-LUTE! (ER's actual car shown this time. My poor ol' sick pickup is visible in two pix.)

Three-0. Pig Out Palace or not, I think I'm going to test-drive the new cooking grate I got for my trusty Weber kettle grill tonight with some dogs. Recall, y'all, that the last time I grilled, I got illed, very majorly, and I think I have something of a tiff with the grill now. So, I tossed the old grate and got a nice shiny one for it. Hey, it's a mental thing, so I've gone mental. :-)

Quatro. The Prayer of Confession today at church:

Lord of Life, we are beset with troubles of every kind. The illness of loved ones; the loss of relationships; anxiety over finances; confusion over the meaning and purpose of our lives. We have not come to worship in order to make those anxieties disappear, but to equip ourselves with faith to handle them. Not the kind of faith that assumes that troubles will magically disappear. But the kind of faith that places ultimate trust in the Ultimate Mystery. In the meantime, we will watch the birds and delight in the lilies of the field. In the name of Jesus of Nazareth, our Teach and Lord, we pray, Amen.

Five-o. Our new auxiliary kitty, Miss Eames, and our primary kitty, Ice-T, appear to have reached detente. But Miss Eames doesn't like me. I got upset about something her first night here and my yellin' and carryin' on scairt her. I am large and loud. She is small and quiet. My bad. :-( Sigh.

--ER

Comments:
First, nice ride. A new car is always an adventure. Mine is almost two years old and I still revel in its relative newness.

Second, if Eames is like any other cat, not only will she get over her fear of your largeness and loudness, she will quite possibly give you what for in short order.

Third, "Doc", who posted some comments on the previous post, and I have crossed paths in the real world; in fact, we share something in common. I won't tell you what it is, but suffice it to say that this world just seems a bit smaller today.
 
BTW, shaved all my facial hair off today for the first time since before my younger daughter was born. Mixed reviews all around. Needless to say, within a couple weeks I shall be my old, hairy self again.
 
Ha, last time I shaved was Halloween 1994.

I went to a party as the scariest thing I could think of: a right-wing GOP congressional candidate.

I wore a starched white oxford and pinstriped three-piece suit, tucked Milton Friedman's "Free to choose" in a pocket, carried a Wall Street Journal and a toy trident I'd picked up at Walgreen's, and I shaved my face clean and cut my hair so short I had whitewalls.

I told everyone who asked why I was dressed that way. A 60-something-year-old man at the party got so pissed I thought he was gonna keel over.
 
Nice ride indeed.

ER said:"But Miss Eames doesn't like me."

Cat's have a way of seeing into the inner heart.
 
Geoffrey: Did you traumatize your daughter? I only ask because I have very clear memories of the first time my dad shaved, when I was about seven. Couldn't figure out why my parents would let a strange man use our upstairs bathroom.... :-)

ER: do you know about the website FuelFrog? It'll track your long-term fuel usage (you put in the miles traveled, gallons added, and price paid). I figure individual tanks, but this is kinda neat cuz it makes a graph of your mileage.
 
I was bein' a smart alek, and decided to not make it public. Check your inbox
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?