Wednesday, February 20, 2008

 

Write to remain silent

Yesterday in my writing angst -- which, actually, is pretty rare for me -- I made some fundamental writing mistakes.

1. I quit thinking, and started reacting -- to time, other work demanding my attention (I even turned my e-mail off, but that haunted me, so it'll be on today) -- and then I started reacting to my reacting and got totally off track.

"Think" is job No. 1 for a writer. "People can't write because they can't think," H.L. Mencken wrote. And I think he was talking about thinking about the thing itself, not the words. Yesterday, I got tangled up in words and forgot about the thing itself.

2. There's a bit of chicanery in journalistic writing on deadline: You "write around" what you don't know. You set up words and phrases as chicanes to keep the reader from thinking too much about things you can't write any more about. Because of time -- the evil, two-faced bastard -- I don't know some things about what I'm trying to write about. I have to write to remain silent.

Time two-faced? Yes. Because of time that's passed, I've lost some information. Because of time dead ahead, I don't have ... time ... to redo, or do, more research. Since all that was, is, or will be is "now," time is two-faced. Or maybe has multiple personalities. Time is a damn hydra at times like this.

3. "Show, don't tell," editors tell us. Good writers show us. I'm telling you, I was a bad writer yesterday, trying to tell a story rather than show it. I'm out of practice. Most of what I write involves telling, not showing -- it's hard news.

It's a feature story I'm trying to write. To write. To tell. Today, the hell with *that" -- I'm getting out of this story's way, and taking a bunch of words with me. It will show itself. The way I see it now, the story will be about two-thirds as long as I initially thought, and that is always a good thing.

--ER

Comments:
I worry about the subliminal message you've portrayed with your illustration. Don't let the bastards lick you!
 
Ha! That's my writer's block!

That might be another easter-western Okie thing:

Pond versus tank.

Grader versus maintainer.

Block versus lick.
 
Don't know what I was thinking.

Shorter? Ha ha ha ha ha. Turned out 150 words LONGER than I thought yesterday.

But it's done!
 
One-hundred-fifty words longer? Hell, that's just ONE of your paragraphs, ER.
 
I guess you licked your writer's block.
 
A trick that's always worked for me when hitting a writer's block is to stop thinking of it as writing and to start approaching it as simply explaining something to a friend. It can make for an occasional really odd first draft, but generally does get the words flowing.

My first thought when I saw the graphic was "salt lick," too, so it's not just a difference within your state.
 
Not being a professional scribbler, I guess I have nothing to add, except that I'm glad you overcame your block. Or licked it. Or whatever.
 
I thought it was a salt lick too. :)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?