Tuesday, February 19, 2008

 

Eep, irk, umph, gah, &$@^&$#!!!

I can't stand it. I've been trying to write a story all day that I've been wanting to write since SEPTEMBER, and now it HAS to be done, there's a real deadline, and I've thought about it so dang long it's like doing major invasive surgery to get it out of my head.

Plus my notes are cold. Way cold. That always sucks. Journalist "notes" aren't actually notes -- at least not for someone who's been scribbling them for nigh unto 20 years. They're more like visual clues to a conversation or interview. Shelf life: about 48 hours, 72 hours max. These are more than a week old.

It doesn't help that I screwed up and let myself give a crap about the story! That's always make it worse. So much for detached skepticism and surly professional cynicism. Grrr.

And, in the line of duty, I yelled in the general direction of a friend today, out of frustration over a specific thing, frustration over the story that's coming like cold molasses, and ... well, that's it. I'm sorry, my friend.

The good news is Dr. ER is coming tomorrow, for our belated Valentine's Day. And that means I better get all the yellin' out of my system pronto.

--ER

Comments:
Professional frustration is horrible. Been there a few times. Give the Mrs. Dr. a hug from me - she should know how much you love her by how much you are fighting your inner inertia to be with her.

Sorry, but I've been feeling all romantic lately, so I'm kind of running in that direction a whole lot.

Better days ahead.
 
Today is Baby Bird's birthday! She is 22! And "Idol" could prevent me from wishing her b-day greetings (on her end, not mine).
 
Greetings snuck in during a commercial.
 
Turn off the electronics. Sit quitely. Visualize and reconstruct the event. It is all in there and will come back to you. Start at the begining. Get out of the car and go into the........
 
So this one has ripened a day or two too long, like a banana past its prime? I sympathize!

Sorry, too, that you got to the yelling stage.

A quirky note -- I just came from a police officers' appreciation banquet and sat across from a lady who happened to ask if I was familiar with Ajanta. I started drooling like Pavlov's dog!
 
Mmmmm. Chicken-fried spinach! Unnaturally red chicken parts! Unidentifiable chunks of spicy meat in glop! Sweet and cold snot-and-rice soup for dessert! Yum!

(I really do like it!) :-)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?