Tuesday, August 07, 2007

 

Oh, yeah. I have a blog.

Not that I forgot -- but WOW, it makes a difference when you don't sit at a computer all day! I'm used to being a few keyboard strokes away from unloading whatever feeble opinion, random brain fart or question that occurs to me.

The past 10 days, though, I've been not only not at a computer, but not even indoors for most of every day. And I am universally sore. Every muscle. The good kind of sore, though -- no serious strains or anything.

I think I managed to do everything I meant to do to get the ER house in shape to put on the market -- although more remains to be done. New fence or not? New carpet or not?

And the more I get done, the easier it is to see smaller things that remain, like another, very slight crack around our master bedroom windows, like indoor doorknobs that need replaced, like outdoor light fixtures that also need replaced, because they're weatherworn.

Here's how I spent Part 2 of my summer vacation (Part 1):

Carried even more topsoil, one 40-pound at a time, into the back yard. The total is over 150 bags now.

Hand tilled topsoil into bare patches.

Fertilized and seeded bermudagrass in sunny spots.

Grubbed out weeds and old, worn-out bushes and junk from under the big maple out by the back fence.

Fertilized and seeded annual ryegrass in the shady spot under the maple tree.

Borrowed a neighbor's wheelbarrow and hauled 14 loads of gravel -- two, 1,700-pound pickup loads -- into the back, to spread under a shed that I will advertise as "an outdoor living area partially equipped for a wet bar" (it has running water).

Painstakingly used a hammer and large awl to remove about 100 steeples from railroad ties that are the box for what was my raised vegetable garden, said steeples used to tack down the wire, then removed and rolled up the wire.

Pulled up 15 T-posts from the garden fence. Thought about spending $50 for a fencepost puller at the Tractor Supply, but decided I'd rather spend that money on cigars -- so I did, and pulled those puppies up by hand.

Another 20 bags of topsoil to the front sideyard, tilled it, fertilized it and seeded annual ryegrass.

Filled in remaining bare spots in the main front yard from where heavy rains washed out some of the bermudagrass I'd previously seeded.

Hauled just one truckload of stuff to the local landfill transfer station.

Meanwhile, Bird and YankeeBeautrothed worked a total of seven days (four for him, three for her, scraping, priming and repainting the pergola (I call it an arbor; it's like this one only twice as big)over the back patio. What a chore! It has 22 2-by-6's, about 20 feet long each, plus several crossbeams and six columns.

Bird also scrubbed the front bathroom, top to bottom and side to side, and scrubbed the front porch and entry, and she helped Dr. ER with some stuff, and got a good start at emptying her old room, and Bird and YB both grubbed out about five years worth of dead matter and trimmed the pampas grass in front.

Now, Dr. ER is back in Boulder. Bird is here until this weekend; YB goes to Houston and back for dental work -- and I am actually glad to be back at work, where I can get some rest.

--ER

Comments:
Dang, I would have loaned you my steeple-puller-fence-wire hammer/pliers if I had known. The proper tools make all the difference.
Been watching the price of wheel barrows go down towards the end of summer. When they get to 50% of their inflated cost, I'm gonna get me a big one with two wheels. Now that's a MAN"S barrow! (do they make these things with built-in powered lifts and wheels?(and a seat))
 
"(do they make these things with built-in powered lifts and wheels?(and a seat))"

That's a front-end loader, ain't it? I'll have to get one for my goat farm in Colorado.
 
ER said: "Pulled up 15 T-posts from the garden fence. Thought about spending $50 for a fencepost puller at the Tractor Supply, but decided I'd rather spend that money on cigars -- so I did, and pulled those puppies up by hand."

And here I thought you were a farm boy. Just bound and determine to do it the hard way are you?

Next time get an 8 ft fence post (or somthing like it) and a short chain. Attach the bottom of the T-post to the fence post with the chain held by a bolt about 30" back from the end of the wooden post close to the ground, and lever that sucker up with no problem. That works on any fence post not cemented down and sometimes on them as well.

Don't you just hate these fools that give you good advice after you've done all the work?
 
ER said:"That's a front-end loader, ain't it? I'll have to get one for my goat farm in Colorado."

Yep, or maybe one of those little BobCat dealies with an attached trailer.
 
Well, that clayey soil was pretty brittle. I used a shovel to dig a little on a couple of 'em, but it wadn't that hard to get 'em up. Wadn't easy either, though.

And I tossed out my old "Oklahoma Farm Bureau Member" sign I had on the gap-gate for old time's sake. It was faded to where you couldn't read it. I reckon I'll have to, ahem, "borrow" another one.

(Although I am a dadgum member again, despite havin' quit 'em over their big-agribusiness politics in the '90s, because the insurance on Mama ER's house is with Farm Bureau Insurance, and you got to be a member to have the insurance.)
 
You've done so much stuff around the place that big big sister and I may have to make a trip b4 you move. Maybe have a steak, a fine drink and enjoy a cigar too.
 
New carpet, yes. New fence, no. You're overdoing the prep. The key to selling is getting it on the market. Just do it. No one is going to fail to buy a house because you didn't put dirt on the yard. New carpet will give you a quicker sale, for sure. Do that.
I've not posted on my blog since July 24. How long is that... oh, 2 weeks. Maybe it's almost time. I'm overwhelmed with unpacking -- and I have not yet found my laptop or my camera. But I have new appliances!

Forget the doorknobs. Forget the little crack. That's life.

And Bermuda grass is STILL two words.
 
Trixie, you are thinkin' like a girl. I would, and have, knocked a house out of contention because of a screwed-up back yard!

Timing: It will be '08 before I go anywhere. That has been decided. It lets me do the work I think is necesarry to get TOP DOLLAR for the house, which is necessary, not merely desirable. We will keep the dang thing and rent it before I take less than I have to have.

That anon, I believe, is a kin folk: Y'all come! :-) I got a real purdy pergola to sit under now.
 
"I'm used to being a few keyboard strokes away from unloading whatever feeble opinion, random brain fart or question that occurs to me."

Well, that says it all...
 
I'm thinkin' like a girl who got top dollar for my place (surprisingly) before it ever went on the market, thank you veddy much Mr. Wheelbarrow Man. And I didn't tote one sack of rocks or nothin'. I guess I learned a thing or two over the past four years, happily. It thrills me that I sold for 2.5 times what I paid back in the olden days!
 
OK. But the stupid torrential rains washed out my back yard. And made a big mud hole in the front. Not just lack of curb appeal -- I'm dealing with curb revulsion.
 
Besides that, Trixie, as I recall: You sold tyer house to another girl!

:-P
 
Oh, and if this ain't screamin' for fate and the gods to change my plans, I don't know what is! Ha!

"It will be '08 before I go anywhere. That has been decided."
 
Uh, '08 isn't that far away. Five months will mark the new year.
 
Dude! Come to my house and work for me! That's a lot of work you did. You might get your house in such good shape you'll never want to leave. :)

Hey, I'm going to back in our hometown September 22 for a book signing. I'm looking forward to it. Jeannie is going to try to come by.

Order Murder by Dewey Decimal HERE!
 
Good book, you wrote there, Tech. It came in yesterday's mail and I'm almost through with it! Ya done good, amigo.
 
Well, E.R., if sympathy counts for anything, you've got mine. I had nightmares last night about you trying to whump your yard into shape. It was one of those frustrating dreams with a lot of extreme detail that made me wake up exhausted.

I'm sure it had nothing to do with the fact that I'm still unsettled...
 
I've got my house selling problems solved.

1: The advise to always buy the worst house in a great nieghborhood and then fix it up applies to my house completely. It will be a great bargin for someone someday when my kids sell it.

2:Back in 1981 when I moved into my home I took an oath to never and I mean never move again. Never!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?