Thursday, July 05, 2007

 

How I spent my summer vacation (so far)

Finally mowed the whole yard.

Pulled weeds in front flower beds.

Trimmed bushes and trees in front. And dang near lopped off only one finger this time. Which is saying something, considering.

Used a slingblade to chop down three-foot high grass in former vegetable garden; then raked it and bagged it; then set mower at highest setting and mowed it; then raked it and bagged it; then set mower at lowest setting; then raked it and bagged it. Made some frogs homeless.

Procured 45 kitchen cabinet knobs. Will install first wet day when I can't work outside.

Procured 12 bags of chocolate-brown hardwood mulch. To apply tomorrow if a dry day to front flower beds.

Procured, so far, 2,600 pounds of topsoil for various and sundry washouts in both front and back yards.

Applied 800 pounds of topsoil to bald patch in front yard; raked it; fertilized it; raked it again; then I spilled my seed upon the ground; then raked it; then watered it in. It's raining now, fairly hard, and the soil seems to be staying put. We'll see.

Worked only a half-day yesterday, it being a holiday and all. Took Dr. ER with me to Maker's Cigar Bar and Piano Lounge. Then we went to the Oklahoma RedHawks game for baseball and fireworks -- and it was standing-room-only. So we stood for like three hours. Then went to IHOP. Got home about 1:30 a.m., which is unheard of around here anymore.

Hard to get going today. So all I've done is procure the cabinet knobs, 1,000 pounds of topsoil, which is still in the back of my truck and will stay there until morning, and a dozen variegated vinca major plants, the nonblooming variety of periwinkle being a good, hardy ground cover, to plant in a sideyard bed tomorrow or the next dry day.

Dr. ER has been working on her computer all day. Chef ER just finished making Mama ER-style cole slaw: rough cut cabbage, mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, paprika, celery salt (you just keep adding stuff until it tastes right).

And I am fixing to fix ER oven "grilled" chicken: baked legs and thighs, Lawry's shaken on liberally, cracked black pepper, too, with honey barbecue sauce applied the last 20 minutes. Yum.

To be served with the cole slaw and appropriate sideboard fare: home-canned pickles from a friend in Little Dixie; Satan-possessed eggs (store-bought, I'm afraid). Olive salad (also store-bought). Etc. Apple pie (yes, yes, store-bought, but made in the store and gooo-oooo-oood.)

Oh, crap. It's raining like a cow pissin' on a flat rock out there. Gotta go check my soil and seed!

--ER

Comments:
Paint over your current street address with a non contraversial color.
 
Yep. Though it will pain me.
 
I'd never thought 'bout using a sling blade for my yard here. My dang electric mower is just ain't doing the trick (danged French technology).
 
Oh, I forgot to comment on "dropping your seed" on the ground.

I was glad to figure out which "seed" you were talking about. ;)
 
LOL--I thought the same thing about the seed as did Pecheur.

What color is your address now that makes it controversial??

And what, pray tell, are Satan-possessed eggs???

Are you taking before and after pictures?
 
I'm betting
A) Orange
B) Deviled.

And yah, I thought the same thing.
 
You know, pecheur may be on to something here. A gardening and landscaping company. Yeah, I'll start one, and call it Onan - We Spill Our Seed Upon the Ground.

Sorry I missed that one. Nice catch.
 
"like a cow pissing on a flat rock . . ."

That saying alone would make you a southerner. Lordy, I haven't heard that saying since dog was a puppy.
 
Pechur said: "My dang electric mower is just ain't doing the trick (danged French technology)."
Borrow someone's French goat. I have, in times past, actually though of renting out goat herds to people who need brush cleared off of their land. My cousins third wife at the time raised three sizes of goats and I though we might make some money on the side.
Latter I found out that someone in California actually does that.
 
Ha! You've got to be right, Trix. Deviled didn't even occur to me. My brain must be on the weekend already.
 
ER said:"It's raining like a cow pissin' on a flat rock out there."
Great smilie, but I was out in that storm and it were more to the experience of a very large herd of cows pissing on my car. Thank god fr Rainex and new wipers!
 
Proud that Trixie knew my Okie redneck-speak!
 
Lobo: I, too, have always wanted to rent a sheep for thre yard. Or a goat for a weed patch.

But if you ever need mesquite brush cleared, or scrap lumber cleared away, get some camels. Them sumbitches will eat any type of fiber left layin' out!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?