Wednesday, May 02, 2007

 

Lowkey birthday

I so wore myself out biting my lip at lunch today, I just came on home after work. Sat with a bunch of rich white business types at a thing. Now, I have nothing against rich white guys. Seriously. I'd like to be one. But these guys ...

They're the kind of Repubs who look down on the Religious Righties as buffoons -- but they'll milk the yahoos for every vote they'll give 'em, and the yahoos will keep thinking the money in the Republican Party gives a damn about them.

One of 'em even made a crack about a nappy-headed ho -- and I don't give a damn whether he thought he was with his peers and it was just a funny ha-ha thing: He was at an organized business function, in a public venue -- oh, wait, it was a country club, a throwback where the only blacks and Hispanics were servers or janitors or in the kitchen.

Of course, some of 'em were badmouthing our good governor, who did the right thing last week by vetoing a tort reform bill that would have denied justice to everyday people in favor of people just like them.

Bah. Left a bad taste in my mouth. I surrender my right to tell assholes like this off as a member of the working press. My belly is full of it. Maybe the Colorado move will lead to something that will let me untie my tongue.

On the upside of this birthday day, I came home to find some books I ordered last week had arrived. Yes, I have nine grocery sacks of books to read, but I needed these:

Wilma Ann Bailey, "You Shall Not Kill" or "You Shall Not Murder"? (Collegeville, Minn.: Liturgical Press, 2005).

Marcus J. Borg, The Heart of Christianity: Rediscovering a Life of Faith (San Francisco: Harper, 2003).

Marcus J. Borg, Reading the Bible Again for the First Time: Taking the Bible Seriously but Not Literally (San Francisco: Harper, 2001).

Birthday supper: Two Braum's chicken salad sandwiches on white bread, Wavy Lays, a big ol' pickle, three big olives and a tall glass of milk. Girl Scout cookies for dessert.

Finally, there's this:

It's dang near sacrilege to badmouth Paul Harvey in the heartland, but holy crap. Where's the Imusian outrage? Harvey: Women and children are fair targets of war. Time to retire the man, man.

--ER

Comments:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

LOVE YA MAN

RONHOLIO
 
A fun lunch, huh.
I am well, I say, well acquainted with "aren't we all good ole white boys here" syndrom.
It is a kind of secret handshake thinking. I've gotten it from one of the richest men in my State to a big assed big time Bubba down on the Red River.
It is always jarring to experience.
I was always working as an emissary for another when I experienced it. It was not for me to react or comment then. It is so nice not to be under that plenipoteniary prohibition any more.
Go for the freedom brother.
It feels good.
 
Our church is just wrapping up a study of Borg's Heart of Christianity. Good stuff.

Happy Birthday.
 
I could say "'Twas ever thus", and I would be right. The problem, however, is that we too often let propriety stand in the way of what is correct. The real "Yahoos" aren't conservative Christians, who are only politically naive; the real "Yahoos" are bozos like these who think they have the privilege of deriding all those who are not white, rich, or placidly non-Christian. They are pathetic little people, and I have, on one occasion in my life, been blunt to such a group. I would rather be counted among the benighted, dirty masses than counted among such as those.
Not the best way to celebrate one's birthday, having to listen to these insipid little people. Dorry about that. Books, however, especially those to which we look forward, are always a good antidote to the blues and blahs brought on by our fellow human beings.
 
Golly - I feel your pain at that luncheon. Sounds like any given event with the association I work for. Like you, I'm thinking a better job might not have more money or a better title, but at least I could work with like-minded people. Heck, I'd be happy to work for people who just aren't hateful of people who just aren't like them. Or completely oblivious. Semi-conscious to the larger world would be nice..

Anyway, I covet that dinner. Yum. And books. Books are a great gift to give yourself.

The best bday would've involved Dr. E.R. and the kids, no?

Many happy returns....
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?