Tuesday, April 24, 2007

 

How smart our Bird is

This is the weather right now, at 2:21 p.m., in Oklahoma. Oklahoma State University is smack-dab under that biggest blob of red to the north. I sit about 50 miles south-southwest, under some more of the red.

Bird, 21, my redheaded redneck stepchild, who is a junior at Oklahoma State, just called and excitedly told me that, with news that hail as big around as Copenhagen cans is headed for Stillwater, she grabbed the tacos she'd just made for herself out of the oven, stuck the dogs in their cage, and jumped in YankeeBeau's new car, an ought-6 Chrsyler Sebring, to find a place to pull under, since they live in an apartment with no carports.

So did everyone else in town. She said every car wash and gas station had people in cars up under their canopies.

Bird was not deterred.

Bird, who is known far and wide for her ability to sidle up to complete strangers and sweet-talk them into giving her what she wants, sidled herself and the car up to an auto glass repair shop of all places, runs in and explained that hail as big as tennis balls was a-comin' and they just bought that purty car two weeks ago and could she pull up inside their shop until the storm has passed.

The redheaded Bird bein' very persuasive, and cute as a bug besides, found safe harbor, then called me to tell the tale while munchin' on tacos, listenin' to the weather on the radio and worryin' that if a tornado hits their apartment house, the dogs, Fenway and Apollo, will be goners.

--ER

Comments:
Having just bought a new car myself, I do indeed think Bird is quite smart!

No hail yet down here in Pontotoc County, but it's raining buckets.
 
I'm glad she got the tacos! A smart girl needs nourishment when she's fleeing the hail! Hoping the puppers are just fine when she returns.
 
Wow, that is pretty smart. It just rained in my neck of the woods, but the night's not over yet.

Did she really say "hail as big around as Copenhagen cans"? That gave me my laugh for the day.

Crystal
 
No, she said "tennis balls." I put it in the ER vernacular. :-)
 
Damn it, I want a dip.

Reckon I'll go to the house and accidentally chew the end of one of my cigars.
 
Well, I thought it sounded like you, but I thought maybe she was picking up your vernacular. :)

Crystal
 
I got a funny that's related, and it's from my Stillwater days: A friend did the same thing in trying to avoid the oncoming hail storm. Reports out west were softball-sized hail.

So he drove his fairly new car around Stillwater and finally found a nice little spot in a car wash. I, owning a little older vehicle with a couple of dents and a hefty insurance policy, set my care out in the open, hoping for the insurance payoff.

Down came the hail. Golfball-size and bigger, but not "grapefruit." My car sustained absolutely NO damage. My friend's car, though, had both headlights broken out and the hood dinged by hail that hit the concrete in front of the portal.

:-)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?