Sunday, November 08, 2009

 

'I stood still, I forgot who I was'

"The Dark Night"

By St. John of the Cross (excerpt, version by Robert Bly)

In the delicious night,
In privacy, where no one saw me,
Nor did I see one thing,
I had no light or guide
But the fire that burned inside my chest.

That fire showed me
The way more clearly than the blaze of noon
To where, waiting for me,
Was the One I knew so well,
In that place where no one ever is.

Oh night, sweet guider,
Oh night more marvelous than dawn!
Oh night which joins
The lover and the beloved
So that the lover and beloved change bodies!

In my chest full of flowers,
Flowering wholly and only for Him,
There He remained sleeping;
I cared for Him there,
And the fan of the high cedars cooled Him.

The wind played with
His hair, and that wind from the high
Towers struck me on the neck
With its sober hand;
Sight, taste, touch, hearing stopped.

I stood still, I forgot who I was,
My face leaning against Him,
Everything stopped, abandoned me,
My worldliness was gone, forgotten
Among the white lilies.



Awesome.

Sermon text this morning at church, the last of 10 Sundays of sermons from "Ten Poems to Change Your Life." Next Sunday, we return to regular programming. :-)

--ER

Comments:
Check out John's explanation of what he wrote.
http://www.karmel.at/ics/john/dn.html
 
Isn't that what the translator and editor thought?
 
No, Book One and Book Two are His own explanation of what he meant.
Look it up in Wiki or someplace.
 
Wow. I had no idea such a thing existed.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?