Thursday, September 18, 2008

 

'Fox Sports Sequoyah County'

Stand back! I just had a brain storm!

Fox Sports Sequoyah County!

That's my home stompin' grounds. Ooooh, boy! Imagine the coverage on Fox Sports Sequoyah County!

Late-night clandestine cockfightin'!

Kitchen table poker!

Dirt-road beer drinkin'!

Trotline checkin'!

Baby havin'!

Meth cookin'! (Sorry. I shouldn't joke about that. But you laugh to keep from cryin'.)

I'm sure there's some noodling down in the Arkansas River bottoms, maybe around Devil's Slough or the Cherokee Chute, or up in Lee Creek.

What else? Just think of a Little Dixie, Oklahoma version of Redneck Games! (I consider Sequoyah County an honorary member of Little Dixie.)

And, I never heard of any around them parts, but I'd introduce anvil shooting, which I did encounter in Texas, myself! See below.



--ER

Comments:
Thank god someone's doing something to keep the anvil population in check. Otherwise they just starve during the winter, poor things.
 
Blowing up the anvil was a standard 4th of July activity for a very long time in small town America.
 
Oooh! I liked the coordinated ones with three anvils soaring gracefully through the air.

Kinda reminded me of the trebuchet computer-slinging they used to do at DaVinci Days, only with more gunpowder.
 
I can die now because I have, officially, seen everything. Like Kirsten, I am particularly impressed with the synchronized swimming portion of the event. It would have been ultra-cool if the two shot at one another had collided in mid air.

The enjoyment people get from blowing stuff up and letting it fly knows no limits. When I was a kid, we made (and please excuse the ethnic slur contained in the name) Polish cannons, pop cans with the bottom and top cut out, duct-taped together, except for the bottom one. In the bottom one, a hole was punched with an awl, and lighter fluid was put in. A tennis ball was placed over the top. A person touched a lighter to the hole, and BLAMMO!!!!, the tennis ball went flying. If you were really stupid, or brave, or innovative, you squirted a little around the inside lining, swung the cannon around to make sure the spread was pretty even, and when it went off, the lighter fluid ignited the tennis ball.

Of course, that stopped being fun when I was fifteen. . .
 
Hey, 'bout a dozen years ago, a friend and I made a tater gun and gave it to Big Brudder ER for Christmas. It was as big as a bazooka.

I was then 32. He was then 44.

Age has nothin' to do with blowin' stuff up! :-)
 
BTW, anvil shootin' ie depicted in the GREAT movie with Reese Witherspoon, "Sweet Home Alabama."

That flick is an ER fambly favorite.
 
Wait. On age: I did quit lightin' firecrackers under frogs' hind ends by about age 10.

(Under. Not "in," which is just sick.)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?