Saturday, August 16, 2008

 

OKC: Booming with More Than Oil'n Gas

What a great travel piece about Oklahoma City! Not a condescending word or a haughty sniff in it -- and trust me, I can smell that kind of stuff a mile away.

Now, I can take you to some war zones in town. But this is a travel piece, not a news story. And it's a good 'un. It nails Oklahoma City at present.


By FINN-OLAF JONES
The New York Times
Published: August 8, 2008

IT took approximately a day for the song -- and who doesn’t know that song? -- to clear my head once I’d arrived in Oklahoma City. This revitalized metropolis does seem to have a constant wind that comes sweepin’ down the plain, but the windfalls from its booming economy have brought enough new grand urban projects, gleaming museums and sophistication so that one suspects the only folks tempted to yell “Ayipioeeay” are visitors.


Read it all.

--ER

Comments:
I'm packing.
 
LOL
 
I've heard so many schemes and plans over the years and they for the most part have failed. An oil bust and Funny Money always seemed to kill them dead. It is good to see these things working out this time, and there is more to come.
For one thing this time we did AVOID the funny money temptations and as for the oil, well, it will run out eventually but it
will never go bust again. Now if we could just turn that spigot on a bit more, to let that trickle down flow a little more freely.
 
Well, I keep my eye out for funny money. And, I keep my eye out for bubbles -- and I think we just saw one come and go in oil. ... Here's hoping they keep going if they keep coming.
 
E.R., are you saying that oil just passed gas?
 
Oil bubble?
You mean it is back to $16 a barrel?
You mean China has outlawed automobiles?
Don't tell me, Detroit has invented the 80 mpg car?
Dupont has discovered how to make plastics out of sand?
America has weaned itself off of oil based products, and no other peoples in the world want them either?
No sir, things are different now.
We are not driving the demand for oil any more.
Oil has no more bubbles in it, only burps.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?