Monday, August 25, 2008

 

'Service thy master'

UPDATED YET AGAIN

Wholly cow! There are seven of these things now sittin' around my house. Turns out most of the water went into my closet in our bedroom. Everything in the floor, which was more than half of everything in the closet, was soaked!


Look at the top of that pile! My dadgum Nocona boots are SOAKED! Rurnt!

Sigh.

Plus, because of the excitement, I've missed the talk by the HOTTEST potential first lady in my lifetime: Michelle Obama! Somebody will have to fill me in.


Blowing sounds ... making me drowsy ... time for bed. ... Cats safe under Dr. ER's care in a spare room ... G'night.



UPDATED UPDATED WITH ART UPDATED UPDATED

Don't this just beat the hell all, y'all?

It took 21 years, but a copper hot water pipe to the front bathroom bathtub finally had enough peaceful coexistence with the part of the slab it had been peacefully coexistin' with and finally got pinhole, which, Saturday, decided to grow into a real leak.

The water was so hot, as it accumulated in the space between the tub and the wall, that it caused these soda pop cans, on the floor against the other side of that wall, to explode.



It cost $350 to fix the leak. ServiceMaster is now 26 minutes late, but is supposed to be on the way. The carpet is wet as far as five feet out from the pantry (shown, with plumber).



END UPDATE


Insurance company called. Check.

Plumber called. Check.

ServiceMaster called. Check.

God to be honored. Check -- whaa-a?

ServiceMaster, from Wikipedia:

Religion

ServiceMaster strives to be perceived as a Christian-oriented company. Representatives explain that the name ServiceMaster comes from a Christian concept called "service thy master".

The company asserts that their Christian leanings are evident in their stated objectives:

"Honor God in All We Do"
"Excel with Customers"
"Help People Develop"
"Grow Profitably"


Who knew?

I'm cool with that. Every little bit helps.

CNBC video on origins of the name ServiceMaster.

Dr. ER en route from motel in Hays, Kan. Now, to unload the Baby Truck.

--ER

Comments:
I'm glad you provided links and stuff, because I thought you were advertising for a, well, you know, one of "those" kinds of "services".

Glad you made it home safely, the cats are happy to see their cat-person ER-Daddy, and that all the various pain-in-the-ass "i"'s have been dotted and "t"'s crossed.

Welcome home, man.
 
Gracias.

And yes, whatever the origins of that phrase, modern idiom has given it an entirely different twist.
 
Man, I covet your pantry. And a plumber who can work on that leak without making you empty that pantry. Woot!
I am sure hoping things work out dandy in the long run.

I always thought Service Master started as an offshoot of Sears.
 
At least it was diet Coke. I can only imagine the mess if it had been regular!

That's a good point, Trixie, not having to empty the pantry is definitely a good thing. :)
 
I hate when my S/M is late.
As to Michelle Obama, I think she gave a nice speech, warm, personable, and anecdotally sufficient to present Barack as a husband and father, rather than as a celebrity icon. I thought the Kennedy presentation was a bit over the top, but I don't view him through the same lens as the audience.
I'm sad for your boots, the worst part is having to break in a new pair.
 
Nocona boots! Now here is an opportunity for you. Those boots will make two very nice and interesting birdhouses. They will be great conversational items that will show your craftmanship and also allow you to introduce and retell the leak story over and over.

As for the M. O. speech it was very good. I forced myself to watch the FOX analysis afterwards. God, was it bad. ("The Obama daughters were just a tad too cute.") Especially the smug analysis by Karl Rove. Gad, what a bunch of assholes. No wonder their stock is down 34%.

Now what you really should have seen was the Saving Grace episode where an illegal alien ,who was a server at a party given by the Representative who got the "let's make all aliens illegal" bill passed in Oklahoma, was raped v-a-o, fataly beaten, and left for dead at a skinhead bar by an official from a pro-family organization from out of state. Of course it was all fiction.

As for the Lion Kennedy, well Maryjo must be rolling in her grave. Kennedy, whose blind ambition and undercutting Carter for the second term gave us Reagan and all that that meant, was forgiven again last night by those he did in.
 
Teddy K. has, indeed, served himself and the country, about equally.

Um, was that an actual synposis of Saving Grace, or are you pullin' my leg? And, since I missed that, too, I gotta find out when the rerun is this week on TNT!
 
Oh, this is embarrassing. The boots in question, I've had so long, since about '95, that I forgot what kind they are. Not Nocona. Tony Lama. Sheesh. I had a pair of Noconas that I never did get broke in. The president of Nocona Boot Co., from behind his desk in Nocona, Texas, told me in an interview in the early '90s, that if I wanted a pair of boots that came "broke in," I should get a pair of Tomy Lamas (sister company). So I did. He said lots of working cowboys wanted boots to break in themselves (surprise -- not), usually buy taking them out of the box and then tromping through a creek or standin' in a trough or something, then wearing them as they dried, and repeating until they fit right. No thanks. My tenderfeet need a good fit right off the bat.

The exact boots in question:

http://www.sheplers.com
/mens/tony_lama/036389.html
 
Dude, don't ditch the boots. I would bet money they can be saved if you get them to a boot shop or saddlery. They can put them on lasts or boot stretchers and the leather can be treated. SAVE THE BOOTS!
 
Oh, I wadn't gonna get rid of 'em. They experienced no more than the average trompin' across a crick, or dousin' in a trough! ... On the other hand ... $250 replacement cost would go a long way toward my $1,000 deductible....
 
Those boots should be fine. If the inside got really soaked, spray a little white vinegar into them as they dry, as vinegar inhibits mildew growth and will help rid them of a funky, wet smell. For that matter, add about 1/4 cup of vinegar to the wash in the softener dispenser for any clothes that got soaked. I've had to do that more times than I can count to my husband's boots and uniforms when he came home from the field.
 
Many thanks, Anon.
 
Not only was that the they "broke in" boots, that's the way they broke in their pistol holsters as well, so the pistol had a tight snug fit in the holster. They greased up and packed the pistol with grease, corked the barrel, wrapped it in oiled cloth, soaked and squeezed the holster with the pistol it till the small air bubbles stopped coming up and then dried it in the sun. That made the holster have a slight "grab" to it.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?