Tuesday, August 26, 2008

 

Book gab

The other day in Nederland, mountain town up northwest of Denver, I picked up an Indiany lookin' alpaca wool purse die-rect from Peru for a surprise for Dr. ER (read a little bit about The Alpaca Store and More, and a little about Nederland), and around the corner I bought the following books at a combination used-book store and ice cream parlor:

Dorothy O. Johansen, "Empire of the Columbia: A History of the Pacific Northwest" 2d ed. (New York: Harper & Row, 1967), which looks like it probably used to be a standard regional history textbook.

and

William H. Rehnquist, "Centennial Crisis: The Disputed Election of 1876" (New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 2004), which interests me for two reasons: Uno, I've brushed up against that election and the last gasps of Reconstruction in the South as a distant backdrop to the reaction of the country in general, and American Indian newspapers specifically, to Custer's debacle at the Little Bighorn that summer; and, two-o, there's a street in Wichita Falls, Texas, called Tilden, in a part of town where the streets have presidents' names, because the city fathers back in the day just couldn't accept the fact that Samuel J. Tilden lost to Rutherford B. Hayes.



BTW: The best thing about having seven industrial fans blowing and a big heavy-duty dehumidifier going in the house is that I can't hear Bailey bark. Ha ha. I see him outside my kitchen window here, and he's staring at the window, and wagging his tail, and I see his mouth opening and closing and it looks like he's coughing or something -- but I caaaaannnn'ttttt heeeeeaaaarrrrrr hhhhhhiiiiimmmmm!!!! Ahahahahahahaha! Peace in our time! :-)

--ER

Comments:
Dr. Macowiak from University of Maryland has done some interesting medico-historical analyses on various historical figures. These cases are generally done in fun, and for educational purposes, to spark dialogue. I caught one of his lectures here in VA on Custer (Poe and Mozart were also discussed). Custer's case was the only one thought to be psychological in nature--specifically, Histrionic Personality Disorder-- and was of the most interest to the audience. A study was done, having historians well versed in Custer fill out the MMPI (a personality inventory), which concurred with the clinical interpretation.
Here's the full link, if you're interested.
http://www.medicalalumni.org/CPC/
pages/custer.htm
 
Thanks, Doc. THAT kicks.
 
Related only because it's a book:

Just started (over lunch) Proust Was a Neuroscientist. Each chapter talks about an artist (Escoffier, Cezanne, Stein, Eliot, Stravinsky etc.) and something they knew/pointed out about how the mind works, then shows how neurobiology has proven them right. First chapter is on Walt Whitman and the link between our bodies and our emotions. Good, clear writing; should be a pretty quick read.
 
More kickness!

Heh. I might use this kind of thing to hornswaggle Dr. ER, experimental psych. type-slash-behaviorist, into reading history!

Speaking of, I wonder what it is about about William Cullen Bryant, "Gotham Yankee" that he was, that interests a redneck like myself?
 
Why Bryant? The Free Soil Party maybe?
 
The good people of Wichita Falls got it right - Hays lost, barely, but since neither he nor Tilden got a majority of the Electoral Vote, it got kicked to the House. The deal cut with the South was, if Hays would end Reconstruction, they got his support. Hays was so embarrassed by the results he promised not to run for a second term. If only W. had been such a man. . . .

I like Doc's little comment. Histrionic Personality Disorder? Is that a clinical term for Megalomaniacal Idiot? I think, in Custer's case, it might just be.
 
I love that Fredreick Benteen called Custer's autobiographical; "My Life on the Plains" -- "My Lie on the Plains."
 
Nan: Mmmm, could be. ... Bryant did have his own sort of love affair with the West...
 
Hey, is Bailey's pic showing up? Not here, but when I click on the box, there he is in all his 'tarded sweetness.
 
My favorite Custer/Benteen story is the time Custer read the anonomous letter Benteen had publish in a newspaper accusing Custer of abandoning Eliot's company of men to certain death at the Battle of the Washita.

Custer called a meeting of the officers and said he would horse whip the person who wrote it. The Following is in Benteen's own words.
"Being right at the door [of Custer's tent], I stepped out, drew my revolver, turned the cylinder to see that 'twas in good working order, returned it lightly to holster, and went within. At a pause in the talk I said, 'General Custer, while I cannot father all of the blame you have asserted, still, I guess I am the man you are after, and I am ready for the whipping promised.' He stammered and said, 'Colonel Benteen, I'll see you again, sir!' Doubtless you can imagine what would happen had the rawhide whirred!"
 
You know, I used to think that the way Custer was depicted in "Little Big Man" had to have been a spoof. After readin' about 40 books on the subject, plus half as many articles, I think Berger was bein' generous in the book, and the actor in the movie nailed him.
 
Geofrey,
"Is that a clinical term for Megalomaniacal Idiot?"
No, but I like that term better regarding Custer. The "diagnosis" of Histrionic Personality disorder was interesting, for a couple of reasons: First, it is usually diagnosed in women (Hysteria, Histrionic, Hysterectomy all share "Hyster" [Womb] roots). Second, usually the call to have people shot on sight is a bit strong for what is usually a fairly benign, albeit annoying, condition. Your definition of megalomania closer matches "Narcissistic Personality Disorder," with a bit of delusional grandiosity to boot.
A Histrionic PD is at the core, attention-seeking. Their goal is to have others look at and respect/revere them. The narcissist has to be the most valued person, and does so by not only propping himself up, but by putting others down. It was Custer's flamboyance and bravado that probably earned the Histrionic label, although significant overlap into the narcissistic spectrum is present. Of course, these speculations were just for fun, and learning. I found the case of Poe really interesting-- perhaps the Richmond ties biased me.

"Idiot" is probably not accurate in it's original definition (profound mental retardation mental age below three years), but certainly his judgment was idiotic.
 
Ugh, bad typing up there, starting with Geoffrey's name... apologies!
 
Yeah, and I'm sure the neighbors are really appreciating that you can't hear Bailey right now. ;)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?