Monday, July 21, 2008

 

Double dog dare y'all to laugh

1. This is a great editorial cartoon.



Chip Bok
Akron Beacon-Journal
Jul 16, 2008


2. I don't know how one can survive and thrive in the rough-and-tumble politics of the Southside of Chicago and be considered an "elite." But if Barack Obama doesn't lighten the hell up, he's gonna lose lots of people. Holding your head high and being on a high horse are two very different things.

3. My candidate for president has gotten where he is by embracing certain aspects of his multicultural experience and background while not ignoring others. He needs to reassess what he's apparently let his handlers let him become lately.

He can do that by starting to laugh at himself again! Kathleen Parker is dead-on right. Read her column, "Laugh, Obama, Laugh."

Here's a good start: The other day, I saw a clip of Obama at his former church, clapping and groovin' to the music, and, I swear to God, I thought of Steve Martin in "The Jerk," on the porch with his adoptive family, trying to keep rhythm. Both Steve and Barack, as y'all know, were "born a poor black child."



Laugh, Obama, laugh! You have my vote. I'd like to return to you my personal admiration.

--ER

Comments:
Does ur postin the cartoon make it triple saitre now?

The people who should loosen up are the ones who want to make our candidates into saints.

I would postulate that those who "cling" to anything don't vote.
They can't stand the excitement.

I do not look to Obama for our countries salvation. I just hope he can fixed the plumbing, that's all.
 
Today is a first, in that Kathleen Parker actually wrote something that I agree with.
 
Hey, Rich.

About one out of six of her columns, I like and-or agree with.

Hey, I kept thinkin' of you and yer buddy the Tulsa Kid this weekend, partaying, as I was at a most excellent honkytonk in Tulsey Town!
 
Yeah, I thought of you too, when Lynyrd Skynyrd was here, last week. Most roadies are either limeys or southern boys, and theirs were all southern. Nice guys, all of 'em.
 
You know who else never laughed?

Jesus.
 
Nah. He had to have lauged. I mean, look at his closest followers! Like the Stooges, Keystone Kops and Laurel and Hardy and Tom and Jerry all rolled into one. Plus Krusty the Klown.
 
Then, and now! :-)

I think the lion king on the Isle of Misfits in the Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer cartoon is an animated avatar for Christ! :-)
 
Yup, have to agree with ER. He had to have laughed.

Besides, just because the Bible doesn't mention it doesn't mean He didn't do it -- just means it wasn't noteworthy, same as most of the everyday occurences that had to have also happened. I'm sure He just never laughed inappropriately. :)
 
Obviously no one here has ever read Umberto Eco's In the Name of the Rose. The whole mystery in the book is about a manuscript that posits that Jesus laughed -- a heresy, by the way.

And that's my point, by the way -- just because no one ever said Jesus laughed doesn't mean he never did. Same with Obama. He can laugh on his own time. Let McCain keep joking. That's workin' real well for him.
 
Ya know, at 2:33 a.m., it popped into my head that this:

"You know who else never laughed? Jesus."

... could be seen as satire given this context.
 
Yeah, it occurred to me about the same time that I should have put in an "insert spooky music or crazyeye glare" or something comment after "Jesus," to ensure that the snarkiness would get across.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?