Wednesday, June 18, 2008

 

Newshound learns new tricks

Note the microphone. These days, it usually implies video.

For the second time today, this old dog, steeped in ink, wedded to paper, will trot out into the world with a video camera -- as well as a still camera, and a notepad and pen, to gather news.

Then, tomorrow, for the first time, I'll edit it myself.

I seldom report these days, in any medium. I'm more of a paper-shuffling editor. But I am jumpin' onto this stuff with all four feet.

It's a brave new world in the news(paper) bidness. Online video is the cutting edge of the present, and it's my future, if I have one in Colorado, in news.

Wish me well!

--ER

Comments:
Break a leg.
 
Have fun! (no sarcasm intended)
 
I did! It IS fun. It's just "less than" when it comes to meaningfuk journalism. :-)

I see I have left a typo thst says more than I ever could have said on purpose. In fact, I should trademark it. It stays.

:-)
 
So jealous I could spit.
 
Trixie,

You're jealous at the way ER can misspell meaningful?

When's the small-town, hometown periodical goin' to video?
 
That's funny Teditor. I'll be thrilled if we can ever get a meaningful web site going right. Found out on Tuesday that our site didn't update since Friday "because of weather." HUH!?
 
In other words, the person responsible for uploading the information to the Web site wanted to get home to watch the weather?

I realize that at smaller businesses there are fewer people asked to wear more hats. I've had to do the Web updates. It's probably not that difficult. But it's just another thing to do.

Still, if a "newspaper" were to make sure the maintenance of the site were thorough, it could be another way -- possibly in the very near future, the only way -- to bring in a generous income.
 
OH, and as far as ER's concerned, I noticed a week or so ago that he can add to his resume.

Reporter
Writer
Columnist
Radio personality
Videographer

Note the absense of TV reporter, though. All behind-the-scenes stuff for now.
 
Make that online video journalist, and give me about a month. :-)
 
You forgot various and sundry editorships, too. :-)

Including video editing -- fixin' to go do some of that rightcheer d'rectly.
 
Good Luck ER!

I have a weird metal flash of a cartoon character labeled "teh media" rolling over in bed and asking a figure labled "the public"

"Was it as meaningfuk to you as it was to me?"
 
Hoo hoo!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?