Saturday, June 07, 2008

 

'Put another dime in the jukebox, baby!' ... 'He gave his life, for tourism' ... 'A-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-Afternoon Delight'45-rpm flashbacks!!!

Dr. ER got me a record player for Christmas. Last time I was back at Mama ER's place, now Brudder's house, I remembered to bring a grocery sack of 45's back. So we had oldtime record hour the other night! What a blast.

First up was a song she had never heard of. It's potentially offensive. But it's funnier'n the one second a Copenhagen spit cup levitates after sittin' on the dash of a pickup, caught in the crosswind of the 2-65 AC, but before it lands in somebody's lap.

"C.B. Savage," by Rod Hart.




Next was THE classic from 1979: "King Tut" by Steve Martin.

Then, and hell, yes, I DID inhale, "Framed," by Cheech & Chong.




Here's another one she'd never heard of, "Welfare Cadillac," a real groaner from 1970 by Guy Drake (dedicated to my favorite commodities relocation technician online, Tugboat Cap'n.




BEST R&R SONG FROM MY YOUTH -- I STILL WANT JOAN JETT.
"I Love Rock 'N Roll," by Joan Jett & The Blackhearts:




Others, in no particular order, but I loved every one of 'em. It's a rather eclectic mix!


"$60 Duck," by Lewie Wickham.

"I'll Never Be Free," by Jim Ed Brown and Helen Cornelius.

"Georgia Keeps Pulling on My Ring," by Conway Twitty.

"I'm Just a Farmer," by Cal Smith.

"Homegrown Tomatoes," by Guy Clark.

"Afternoon Delight," by Starland Vocal Band.

"I Can't Love You Enough," by Loretta Lynn and Conway Twitty.

"Popcorn," by Hot Butter. (Dr ER made me turn this one off 'cause it was making her crazy. I LOVED it in third grade (1972-1973)!

"Indian Reservation (The Lament of the Cherokee Reservation Indian)," by the Raiders. Still a great song after 37 years.

"The Old man and His Horn," by Gene Watson.

"Puttin on the Ritz," by Taco.

"Sweet, Sweet Smile," by the Carpenters.

Tell yer own flashbacks, y'all!

--ER

Comments:
I'm havin' a classic rock night myself (with the occasional eighties cheese and classic country thrown in for flavor)...

ZZ Top, Drivin' While Blind,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv6NtJxzk-g

Molly Hatchet, Dreams I'll Never See,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vucQFhePzg

38 Special, What If I'd Been The One, (Their best song...)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tknMjFKKm5c

Allman Bros, Whipping Post,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2dpgXYvMHI

EIGHTIES CHEESE:

A Flock Of Seagulls, Wishing,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS9RPyznAPg

CLASSIC COUNTRY:

Connie Francis, My Heart Has A Mind Of It's Own.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0geZxEf9Mh0

The night is still young though...

No telling where I might meander across the musical landscape.

If I find anything else cool, I'll update.
 
My music collection has gone 100% digital, and about 85% online.

I find it easier to just search youtube, rhapsody, or...ahem, other online sources for the songs that cross my mind than to try to keep up with records or CD's.

(Although, I totally get why keeping a record collection, and actually spinning the Vinyl is cooler...)

This is a cool post, ER. Stuff like this is the reason that I keep coming back over here...
 
Good to see ya, Tug. I didn't know you ever lurked 'round here any more.

I still buy CD's for vehickler use only. Hardly ever listen to music anywhere else. YouTube does kick, though!
 
Not only do I lurk, but I drop an occasional stink-bomb here and there... (Not very often...)

Don't have as much time to blog as I used to. The Wife works from home, and the busy part of her day is after I get home, so I get to play with the baby instead of argue with you guys...

It's not really a bad deal, when you think about it... ;-)
 
You may love Joan Jett, but she just won't love you back . . .

As for the rest of your selection, eclectic, interesting - "Putting on the Ritz"? - and, with the inclusion of "Afternoon Delight", hilarious. We've discussed this song before, a long time ago.

Anything that helps us get through the day, or the night, the good times or bad times - any music that gets us tapping our foot, or whistling, humming, singing along - that's the best. I may make jokes, but, in reality, I know my musical tastes aren't for everybody, so I celebrate the differences, rather than tell people what they should listen to.
 
Ha! My other 45s are a little more "normal," but not much!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?