Monday, April 14, 2008

 

'Jesus is mad as a hatter'

***UPDATED WITH GRAPHIC. THANKS TO DRLOBOJO.***

"If the world is sane, then Jesus is mad as a hatter and the Last Supper is the Mad Tea Party. The world says, Mind your own business, and Jesus says, There is no such thing as your own business. The world says, Follow the wisest course and be a success, and Jesus says, Follow me and be crucified. The world says, Drive carefully -- the life you save may be your own -- and Jesus says, Whoever would save his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. The world says, Law and order, and Jesus says, Love. The world says, Get and Jesus says, Give. In terms of the world's sanity, Jesus is crazy as a coot, and anybody who thinks he can follow him without being a little crazy too is laboring less under a cross than under a delusion."

--Frederick Buechner, from "Listening to Your Life."



Why don't we hear that preached more? I've never heard any of the TV "preachers" say anything like it. And I've never heard any of the supposed parachurch organizations, the Culture War warriors, says anything close.

They have reduced Jesus Christ to a brand. Like "Intel Inside!"

"Jesus Inside!"

Really?

--ER

Comments:
Why are Hatter's Mad?
 
drlobojo, from the mercury.

ER, don't know what parachurch orginizations, or churches you are listening to, but I hear that kind of stuff all the time. Maybe you should broaden your horizons.
 
I'm talking about the Don Wildmons of the world and the TV yahoos that dominate "church programming" here. Maybe it's different in the North. In the South, Elmer Gantry is higggggggh-tech nowadays.
 
Eep. Craig, I just realized I owe you an e-mail. Got lost in the blizzard. It's why I actually prefer to keep discussions on blog. :-) But I'll get back to ya.
 
Tain't no money innit. Nor social order. Nor hierarchy.

Ask Constantine. Religion = social control.

As one of my history professors once said, "You can't base a foreign policy on Love."
 
More like Jesus and ME not 'Jesus inside"

http://jc-and-me.blogspot.com
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
Let me try that wording one more time.

I thought the Oklahoma City Hatters were mad cause after we passed a sales tax to redo the NEW Ford Center to accomadate the Seattle Sonics that they all went out and bought all those hats that said Oklahoma City Sonics and now of course the Sonics made a better deal with Seattle and aren't coming.
What do you do with a trillion hats that have OKCS on them? I suggested that you add "ucks" underneath the intials.
But now you tell me it just the mercury. Too much tuna I guess.
 
Does Jesus also have a negligable rounding error that only extremely anal bean-counters care about?
 
I think Jesus is known for throwing bean counters out of the Temple.
 
"Fools and theives are well disguised, in the temple and market place..."

--Neal Peart, lyracist for the rock band: Rush!

where's a mad-as-hornets savior with a hand full of whoop-ass when you need one, I'd like to know?
 
ER,

Maybe you should stop listening to the Don Wildmons of the world and broaden your horizons. There are plenty of pastors and parachurch folks who are saying waht you think they should say. Why not put away the broad brush.
 
Dang it, I don't go looking for any of them. I'm talking about what can be seen and heard without trying.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?