Tuesday, April 08, 2008

 

Is Ray Adam Modisette a hero?

Ray Adam Modisette, 20, Marine reservist, disobeyed a lawful order in order to take an American flag away from antiwar protestor.

Read this thorough account of a very complicated balancing of the three-legged stool -- freedom, order, fairness -- that this country rests on.

He was lauded around here as a hero.

My first reaction was that Modisette was no hero, that the police robbed him of minor hero status by not pressing charges against him. And now, weeks later, I still think so.

It's a wash. Everybody did what he-she thought was right.

The wacko "Westboro Baptist 'Church' " nutjobs had their sick protest. The anti-wacko biker protestors had their anti-protest protest. The Christian group from Norman had its protest.

Modisette did what he thought was right be taking the flag away from the wacko woman stuffing the flag down "her nasty trousers." The police arrested him. And the prosecutor, in consultation with the police, used his discretion to decide not to press the charge.

Modisette might have been a minor hero -- an actor of minor civil disobedience willing to pay for a minor crime. People already were collecting money to post his bond.

Alas, Modisette is no hero. He was robbed. The prosecutor robbed him.

--ER

(Belated post inspired by this one from Anomalous Data.)

Comments:
If a woman in the Westboro Baptist Church actually HAD "masty trousers" it would certainly explain a lot...
 
Heroes are determined by the outcome of prosecutorial events?

A marine who throws himself on a grenade to save the lives of his brothers in arms is a hero whether he gets the CMO or not.

In the case you describe, however, "Hero" is certainly a subjective label. What did he do that was "heroic" aside from spoiling a woman's attempt to soil the flag in her "masty trousers"? I reckon that makes him patriotic, but heroic? I guess that depends on how "masty" her trousers were and how the young man knew they were "masty".
 
Dang it. I'll fix the typo! LOL
 
I suspect the fact that Modisette served our country would be reason enough to call him patriotic and loyal. To some, it's heroic, and that's fine by me.

I believe the use of "hero" is subjective, as someone else has pointed out. Many fine folks consider John Wayne a hero or George Brett or Brett Favre. They're not, of course, unless quantified by "movie hero" or "baseball hero" or "football hero."

My father served in the U.S. Army during the Korean conflict. I say he was loyal. I say he was patriotic. I don't, however, say he was a hero. In my mind, those are reserved for people who are willing to sacrifice all for the sake of others. But that's just my opinion.

I'd muster a hearty pat on the back for Modisette. I appreciate what he did, but I don't hold him up as a hero.
 
I'd say he was patriotic, yes. I'd say, too, though, that most anti-war protestors likewise are patriotic. Even flying the flag upside down, if meant to demonstrate one's opinion that the country is in deep doodoo and fixin' to go down, is patriotic.

But the wacko "Westboro Baptist 'Church' " nutjobs are just wacko nutjobs. Within their rights, yes. But wacko nutjobs, nonetheless.
 
Not a hero, though I certainly applaud him for being willing to engage in a little civil disobedience for the sake of something in which he believes.

What really bugged me, though, was these lines:

"They live there life day to day. They’ll be judged. All there trying to do is upset someone enough to try to provoke a law suit." [emphasis added]

In an article from the editor, no less. Urg.
 
I second your urg and raise you a gah.
 
I make the "They're" "their" mistake all the time when typing...but not when hand-writing.

I know the difference..but for some reaon it comes out wrong a lot when typing.

'course - EVERYTHING seems to come out wrong when I am typing. :-)
 
Anyone who is in are armed forces is a hero. What he did was patriotic but that is not what makes him a hero. Being a veteran makes him a hero.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?