Wednesday, April 02, 2008

 

Ames Monument: Been there, done that!

The Ames Monument is about 15 miles east of Laramie, Wyo. The bottom layer of stone comes up to about my neck.

Took Dr. ER's still-new Ford 500 down a muddy dirt road to get to it. She was aghast. Pbhthth.

Ha, I kept it off the snow- and ice-covered trail up to the thing! Took some cool far-off-silhouettes, with dark clouds -- but forgot to take some with my phone. So, enjoy this stock photo until I get to where I can put my own pic up.

Ghost towns rule, BTW. In addition to Sherman, Wyo., where the Ames Monument is, I blew through Tie Siding, Wyo., and Virginia Dale, Colo., each of which have colorful tales to tell.

DrLobo, you will perhaps be amused that I learned some Oklahoma history today while reading a historical marker on U.S. 287 near Virgnia Dale. Here is something about it.

Now, I knew that some Cherokees had gotten up a train and headed to the California gold fields in 1849-1850, 'cause those years are at the center of my expertise in Indian Territory history, and the trek was big news at the time. I did not, however, know that it helped establish a trail -- the Cherokee Trail -- that was used for years and years.

It's as if I had known that Charlie Goodnight and Oliver Loving had run some cattle from Texas up to Colorado, but I'd never heard of the Goodnight-Loving Trail!

--ER

Comments:
ER confessed: "Took Dr. ER's still-new Ford 500 down a muddy dirt road to get to it. She was aghast. Pbhthth."

Being I suggested the location, do I have to avoid Dr. ER for a while?
What's a little Wyoming mud?
 
She's happy 'cause I'm happy, just like I was happy 'cause she was happy with the Bon Jovi deal.

And tonight, she-we tipped the living daylights out of a Mexican waiter at a real Mexican joint not too far from the Hole, for letting us in just at closing.

Bread on water, dude. It comes back.

He came running out into the parking lot waving the OSU ballcap I forgot and left in my seat.

Great food: Playa Azul. Boulder, Colo.
 
A comment concerning the Goodnight-Loving Trail:

I sure hope you're feeling better, ER, so that you and the Doc can take some time for some Goodnight Loving.

Tee Hee Hee ...
 
Ha! I'm still wheezy in the chest, and she's starting to get a sore throat. We're a mess. So, we'll stick to the Western trail...
 
I live right near the intersection of Lovely street and Fortune avenue. It's alright.

And I love ghost towns, too. If my parents ever wanted me to do something I really didn't wanna do as a kid, I'd make 'em take me ghost townin' next chance we got.

So-what exactly is the Ames monument memorializing?
 
Whoops. Pardon. Just went back and read the link.
 
Read all of the Cherokee Trail stuff. Did not know about it. The Pueblo Fort has been rebuilt downtown by their museum. St, Verain's Fort is rebuilt in the middle of a highway and has a little museum with it.
The routes do look worthy of some exploration. They are now on my to do list.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?