Tuesday, March 04, 2008

 

To Dr. Ed "Doc" Paulin!

In 1986, I was one of one, maybe two, kids to earn a "B" in media law at Oklahoma State, taught by Dr. Ed "Doc" Paulin. It was known as the hardest course in the J-school. There were no A's.

Doc Paulin encouraged me to apply for the Sears Congressional Internship Program, in D.C., which changed my life by broadening my experience, therefore my perpectives -- and saved me from unthinking "thinking" about politics.

Doc Paulin also said things about people's capacities to HEAR and LISTEN and multitask incoming information -- the phone! the fax! the unimagined 'Net! the TV on in several rooms of the house -- that left us dumbstruck.

It made him something of a prophet, in my book, although those wild ideas never gave him any traction in academe, as far as I know.

I saw him a couple of years ago, at Oklahoma State, and he struggled yet couldn't remember me, but was kind anyway -- or at least not rude, since his patience with pretty thin, a reminder that patience, or even kindness, is no measure of the greatness of good influence. ...


Former KOSU General Manager Ed Paulin

STILLWATER, OKLA. 2008-03-04 KOSU remembers former general manager Ed Paulin. The veteran broadcaster and educator died Saturday, March 1. Ed Paulin was 83.

© Copyright 2008, KOSU


Listen.

--ER

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?