Saturday, March 01, 2008

 

'The Moses Code'

Watch, see my comments below, discuss!



OK. I must admit that seeing someone say, "I am the way, I am the truth, I am the life," is a bit disconcerting. But just a bit. Because I'd need more of an idea of what he means by that.

If I am, by God's Grace, a child of God, and if, as they say, we children of God are God's hands and feet, and his voice, in this realm, then saying "I am the way, I am the truth, I am the life" might not be as heretical as it sounds. On the other hand, the trailer has no mention of Christ, so there's no reason to assume that's what the man meant.

I must further admit that the source that led me to this movie causes me to give it, and the ideas expressed therein, at least in the trailer, the benefit of the doubt.

I found it here, at Slice of Laodicea, which seems to be a wholesaler of fundy candy, specializing in apocalyptic confections. And I discovered Slice of Laodicea through a dark essay at this post at EL's place.

New Age oddities and jargon aside ("vibrations," "manifestations," etc.), how is the central theme of the trailer (it seems to be, human beings, as children of God, are holy creatures, and we should love ourselves, so we can love our neighbors) much different from what Jesus said was the Greatest Commandment in the Law, and the Second, or, Micah 6:8 (if "humbly" here is taken to mean "honestly," which acknowledges that while flawed as humans we also are holy as God's creations), or, Pico della Mirandola's "Oration on the Dignity of Man," or, Matthew Fox's ideas on "Original Blessing" -- all of which, while outside the mainstream, are "Christian" by definition, if one accepts that Fox is a Christian (and I do)?

By the way, I'm not endorsing the movie, as if that would matter. I'm just not going to condemn it based on that trailr, as if that would matter.

--ER

Comments:
I have passed up several cheap copies of 'The Secret' at the thrift stores. Which is normally an indicator that its influence has come and gone. Guess I better get one and bone up on the "the law of attraction". I read Norman Vincent Peals 'The Power of Positive Thinking' when in high school back in the last century, it was kind of manifest and acquisition lite. There is a real psychological effect on yourself and on others if you have a good attitude and behave accordingly. But to say it drives economics, physics, and/or whatever is a bit much. True, Proverbs says, "As a man thinketh in his heart so is he." or as Hezekiah 18:27 says "Open up your mind sucker, you can only have what you can imagine." But saying that manifesting a thought leads to the creation or acquisition of an object is a bit of a stretch. I mean, I seriously manifested a lot of thoughts about Bridget Bardot along about age 12-14, but she never showed up.
 
The over-reaction to this by the fundies just shows how mindless they are. Yeah, "The Moses Code" is drivel. I would hardly rank it with the writings of Aleister Crowley or the grimoires of the late medieval period that told one how to conjure up the Devil. This is nonsense; so, too, is the shrieking attack not just on this piece of fluff, but pretty much anything else that doesn't quote directly from the King James Bible.

I think these people just need hobbies.
 
I didn't check it out. I just wanted to take this opportunity to congratulate my friend. You've been honored, so be honored.

Congratulations.
 
Thanks, Teditor.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?