Friday, March 21, 2008

 

I do not know what to say to Him

Flannel cut-out Jesus marches readily from one scene to the next: entry ... supper ... prayer ... arrest ... questioning ... Cross ... tomb ... heaven.

Jesus Christ, Super Hero, boldly soars through history.

The Savior, in high art, is a majestic, holy figure, even in agony.


The man Jesus, from Nazareth, did not want to die. This reality hit me last night in a way it hasn't before. May your Friday be "Good."

Mark 14:32-42

They went to a place called Gethsemane; and he said to his disciples, "Sit here while I pray." He took with him Peter and James and John, and began to be distressed and agitated. And said to them, "I am deeply grieved, even to death; remain here, and keep awake."

And going a little farther, he threw himself on the ground and prayed that, if it were possible, the hour might pass from him. He said, "Abba, Father, for you all things are possible; remove this cup from me; yet, not what I want, but what you want."

He came and found them sleeping; and he said to Peter, "Simon, are you asleep? Could you not keep awake one hour? Keep awake and pray that you may not come into the time of trial; the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak." And again he went away and prayed, saying the same words.

And once more he came and found them sleeping, for their eyes were very heavy; and they did not know what to say to him. He came a third time and said to them, "Are you still sleeping and taking your rest? Enough! The hour has come; the Son of Man is betrayed into the hands of sinners. Get up, let us be going. See, my betrayer is at hand."


(New Revised Standard Version)
(Art: "The Agony in the Garden," 1455, Andrea Mantegna.)

--ER

Comments:
I loved flannel-cut-out Jesus! He was my favorite part of Sunday School!

Flannel-cut out Sampson was scary, and Flannel cut-out Herod was kind of a dick.

I always hoped to be called on to move flannel-cut-out Jesus to the next part of the story.

That was THE BEST! Although if I thought about it, I would have realized I was moving him closer to his death, and that would have made me sad, and I would have refused to do it, and it would have been yet another thing for my SST to find weird and annoying about me.

:-)
 
LOL!

That's why Jesus loves the little children.

"Flannel cut-out Herod was kind of a dick."

LOL

Oh, man. WTH? LOL. I blew any chance at somber meditation last night when I realized, 1., hey, that's frickin' onion bread (at Communion); and 2., was on my way to get a sundae to get the taste out of my mouth when I realized "Doh! Bitter! Bitter Last Supper!" -- but went and got a sundae anyway (I am stil relatively way new to taking Communion so often, and so thoughtfully I think deeper at some times than others!)
 
But I'll try to ponder this today: The man Jesus did not want to die any more than any of us want to die. And he didn't know how the story was gonna turn out -- or he wouldn't have prayed that the cup might pass from him.
 
I believe He knew of the pain ahead. The agony is worse when you are both prescient and human.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?