Sunday, February 17, 2008

 

No Map for My Wandering Pilgrim Way


Prayer of Confession today at church:

Lord of Life, change is difficult because we are afraid of the unknown. We feel called by you to leave old ways behind, and to trust that life is a journey, not a destination, but the way ahead is unclear. We understand our identity through work, family and location -- but you have plans for us that call us in new directions, and force us to trust in your grace. Help us, we pray, not to fear the journey, and not to pretend that we know when the journey is over. In the name of Jesus, our Teacher and Lord, we pray, Amen.

I can't wait to tell y'all what I gave up for Lent. I got so much more than I bargained for. But the time isn't right. I want to make sure I stick to the commitment.

The bottom line: I'm ready. Whatever lies ahead, I'm ready. I'm tired of clinging to temporal masquerades of safety and security. Tired of fear. Tired of being in one life with my wife in another.

And I had none of that in mind at the beginning of Lent.

Which is why what started as an offhand remark I made to my big brother at the Pig Out Palace in Henryetta, Okla., of all places, has become part of my daily spiritual discipline and opened mental and emotional doors of mine that I didn't even know were closed. Amazing.

It truly is.



O how sweet to walk in this pilgrim way,
Leaning on the everlasting arms;
O how bright the path grows from day to day,
Leaning on the everlasting arms.

What have I to dread, what have I to fear,
Leaning on the everlasting arms;
I have blessed peace with my Lord so near,
Leaning on the everlasting arms.


Peace.

--ER

Comments:
I'm glad you're happy and liberated. I'd comment more, but I can't quite figure out what you are talking about so I won't.

:-)

This post seems to be a general flinging of euphoria toward the computer screen...which I totally get. It's always nice to see even if you don't know the specifics.
 
LOL

Not quite euphoria. Wait ... let me look that up ...

Well, a feeling of happiness and well-being, yes.

I've added an image. I believe it's Christian slugging through the Slough of Dispond.

I'm coming out it, myself, is the point -- a major shift in my attitude, when my Lenten thing was just meant to tinker around the edges.

Hmmm. Dr. ER has been working from Boulder, CO, since April 1. Until the past couple of weeks I simply did not want to move, mainly because I didn't want to leave, although I played at getting ready.
Now I'm taking actual steps.
 
Oh, well, that sheds some light on it...yes.

Good on ya then!
 
I love the title of your post. Yeah, we're told to go and do, but not told how. We're told to love others, even those who hate us, but how do we do that when sometimes even those who love us create complications that impair our ability to love in return? We're told to move forward, but it is so dark, we don't even know what "forward" is. Like the old joke about the guy hanging by his fingernails from a cliff, and told by God to let go, we usually end up yelling for someone else up there.

I'm happy your Lent discipline is paying off; I've always found that kind of thing difficult, except for the year I did a sunrise to sunset fast, which worked because I was working nights, so wasn't awake much during daylight hours. Keep at it, whatever "it" is, and I'll be praying for you. And for Dr. Mrs. ER as well. And for the two of you together.

One thing I remember, usually after the fact, is what God told Moses when Moses asked for a sign - your sign will be when you are back here with the liberated people from Egypt. You want plans, ask an architect. You want faith - go and do what asked of you.
 
It is a geographic fact, that you can't go anywhere if you stay where you are.
 
Yep, and when you hit rock bottom, you got two ways to go: straight up and sideways.
 
Heu even this is CSL: he said that many give up just before it`s about to turn around and get easier, or an inner breakthrough is found. But isn`t that always the way - you struggle and pray and pray and suffer and struggle and then God makes it seem so easy in the end!
 
Please tell us you haven't purchased a motorcycle! (ahem!)

Here's a riddle for you: How far into the forest can you walk if you stay headed in the same direction?

Answer: Halfway. Just remember not to give up and change directions just as you're getting to the other side.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?