Friday, February 08, 2008

 

Dobson, 'Speaking as a private citizen'

The erstwhile would-be king maker speaks as a not-so-private citizen:

I am endorsing Gov. Mike Huckabee for President of the United States today. My decision comes in the wake of my statement on Super Tuesday that I could not vote for Sen. John McCain, even if he goes on to win the Republican nomination. His record on the institution of the family and other conservative issues makes his candidacy a matter of conscience and concern for me.

That left two pro-family candidates whom I could support, but I was reluctant to choose between them. However, the decision by Gov. Mitt Romney to put his campaign "on hold" changes the political landscape. The remaining candidate for whom I could vote is Gov. Huckabee. His unwavering positions on the social issues, notably the institution of marriage, the importance of faith and the sanctity of human life, resonate deeply with me and with many others. That is why I will support Gov. Huckabee through the remaining primaries, and will vote for him in the general election if he should get the nomination. Obviously, the governor faces an uphill struggle, given the delegates already committed to Sen. McCain. Nevertheless, I believe he is our best remaining choice for President of the United States.

(NOTE: Dr. Dobson made these statements as a private citizen. This article is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as a reflection of the opinions of Focus on the Family or Focus on the Family Action.)


Pbtbthththth! ... I copy-and-pasted this IN a bar, while drinkin' a Beefeater and smokin' a cigar, immediately after a text-phone fight with Dr. ER. Does that mean I'll go to hell? Damn it all. SIGH.

--ER

Comments:
Don't you just love it when they want to have their cake and eat it too. You had better listen to me cause I'm a hot shot voice of God today, but tomarrow I can speak just as a private citizen. Now tell me again what kind of lie is that?
 
I'm not sure what your complaint is. He has the right to endorse Huckabee. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with what he said.



Not sure about the cigar statements. A lot of great Reformed pastors smoked cigars and still do. They even drink beer, mostly real beer. Not what most call beer, which is colored water...
 
Hidy, Timothy!

Not really complaining as much as holding him up, as a would-be kingmaker, to close examination. He acts like the candidates, and his own flocks, are pawns that he can move around.

I didn't say anything about his rights. I'm talking about appearances, and he's becoming shrill, which is unbecoming a person of his stature.

And, of course, I disagree with his choice. I'm sure Mike Huckabee is a fine preacher. I am equally sure that he would make a dangerous president.
 
On cigars and beer: I am in the heart of fundamentalist country -- cultural as well as biblical. Most would be appalled that I smoke and drink and dare call myself a Christian. :-)

Oh, I had a Chimay last night. Dude. That ain't colored water. :-)
 
I don't think I've had one of those, but it sounds interesting. :)
 
My maternal grandmother was a life-long member of the WCTU, and none of her children are or were drinkers. I once saw my mother drink one and a half grasshoppers on NYE, and proceed to fall in to a deep sleep. I guess she was a cheap date.

Lisa and I were in a neat little restaurant cum bar in Sycamore, IL, and one of the plaques memorializes the WCTU (in an age bereft of irony, this is as close as one can get, I suppose). I laughed and told her how my grandmother would spin as she heard me order a beer as I lit up.

Dobson has to give his endorsement as a private citizen, otherwise his organization would lose its tax-exempt status. This is all about making sure all the legal "i"'s are crossed and "t"'s are dotted.
 
Meh, I never drank so much until I started seminary. And my fondest moment last semester was sitting in the Surly Wench Pub in Tucson, Arizona, with six pastors who outdrank me at every turn, encouraged me to finish my snakebite so that I could move on to the Jack, and then offered me a puff of a smuggled Cuban cigar. Welcome to the fold, brother.

It's a fine line there, because when does a minister get to put down the collar? If you're out in your local coffee shop, bullshitting about politics, when one of your flock comes in and takes the opportunity to ask you about a crisis of faith he's having, do you turn him away and say, "So sorry, I'm on a break?" I just don't know. Does saying who you're personally voting for the same as telling someone that they need to vote for candidate H or else they're not right with God? I know, the implication is there, but it's a toughie. I actually need to go find out why religious institutions get tax breaks in the first place.
 
:-) Re, "If you're out in your local coffee shop, bullshitting about politics, when one of your flock comes in and takes the opportunity to ask you about a crisis of faith he's having, do you turn him away and say, "So sorry, I'm on a break?" "

No more than any of us should. ... This isn't a much different question than the one I asked myself a lot before I simply surrended to the fact that I am always me -- and that to pretend I am other than me, in any circumstance, ain't right, because God loves ... ME, and my charge is to love my neighbor as my SELF, not as some other . :-)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?