Tuesday, January 15, 2008

 

Huckabee Hucks himself

HUBAR

--ER

Comments:
Arrgh. I just accidentally heard Hillary says she was "passionately" whatever about "this country and what it stands for."

I hope in my liftime at least one candidate for president admits that what this country stands for is greed, degradation and rapine plunder of any damn thing it can get its hands on anywhere in the world, that that's wrong and immoral even though it's historically true, and that she-he vows to work to change that.

I want a candidate to apologize to the world for the United States pissing away the narrow window of opportunity in the 1940s to disarm the planet -- because just didn't occur to anyone to make it happen when we we were the sole nuclear nation.

I want a candidate to admit that "free trade" is letting the world LOOT this country of its resources in a way that probably was unimaginable to the ones who worried that our democratic tendencies would let the people vote themselves the treasure. Ha! We're not even taking it for ourselves -- we are pissing it away!

I want a candidate to shoot straight with people here and abroad about the land theft and cultural genocide this country is guilty of ON THIS CONTINENT. Smallpox was nobody's fault. Indian re-education camps pretending to be boarding schools, WERE, and the internment camps call "reservations" ARE.

And ... and ... and ... it turns out I'm too tired to rant.

It's 8:42 p.m. and I am going to bed to read "the Wisdom of Jesus Son of Sirach" until I can't hold my eyes open, which won't be long.
 
ER said: "I want a candidate to apologize to the world for the United States pissing away the narrow window of opportunity in the 1940s to disarm the planet -- because just didn't occur to anyone to make it happen when we we were the sole nuclear nation."

Why, Mr. Historian.......You know what is coming next don't you......


There was one American who was "Pasionately" advocating that very thing. There was one American who wanted to disarm every country in the world.....except the U.S.A..

That was General Curtis LeMay. The Father of the Strategic Air Command.

Of course he may not have done it the way you mean (remember the story of Alladin's lamp and the screwed up wishes)....His plan was to blow the hell out the U.S.S.R. with a first strike and then do the same to the communist forces in China. He first proposed that in 1946, again in 1947, 1948 etc. etc. until he retired.

So there were a few forward thinking Americans after all.
 
I'm not sure that wouldn't have been the right thing to do. An actual unique time in human history.
 
Looks like Reverend Huckabee (strange that he never uses his title, isn't it?) lost again, this time in Michigan.

Romney won, but it isn't clear if that's because of the "native son" advantage, or because of a concerted effort on the part of some progressive groups to get Democrats to vote for him.
 
Yep. The GOP is just grab-assin' its way through this season.
 
We must remember, that 61% of the Republican voted for other than Romney. If no Rep candidate get's 51% of the state delegated they will have to go to convention and select one there. Wow!

Huckabee, well I guess he just lost my vote!

Did you watch Hillary jerk Obama and Edwards around by their yangs last night. She was setting the agenda and treating them like cabinet memembers. Damn she was actually "in charge". I am glad to see that, in that the odds are she is the next president.
 
Interestingly, here in Michigan, 40% of folks who voted in the Democratic primary voted "uncommitted" rather than vote for Clinton -- not that it matters at all. (I've not been able to find out the % that voted for Clinton; none of the news organizations here care, apparently.)

I'm not altogether displeased Romney won here, though I didn't vote for him. Doesn't hurt my feelings to see more Republicans in the race, beating each other up before the real race begins.

Unfortunately, now that I've voted again in the Republican primary, I'm going to be getting deluged with mail from the nutjobs. On the upside, however, they had cookies at the polling station.
 
Alan, are you a Repub? Or did you sneak over and vote for Romney??
 
I'm an independent -- meaning I despise Democrats and Republicans nearly equally. (Actually I'm probably closest to being an old-skool conservative ... I'm a small government, get outta my bedroom kinda guy. Alas, I may be the last one.)

But in Michigan, you can pick up either ballot you want. Typically I vote in the Republican primary, not to screw it up, but to try to get the lesser of the evils (is Asmodeus better or worse than Astaroth? I played too much D&D as a kid) on the ballot, just in case the Democrats nominate a corpse (Yeah, I'm looking at you, John Kerry.)

I voted for McCain, since he seemed the least batsh*t crazy, doesn't use the blood of 9/11 as a bumper sticker quote, doesn't believe the Earth is flat, and doesn't believe that Jesus and Lucifer are brothers. ;)
 
Re: Bombing the world, ER said: "I'm not sure that wouldn't have been the right thing to do. An actual unique time in human history."

Ah say Ah say go away boy!
That would have made us responsible for the WHOLE DAMN WORLD starting 1946. Gaad what a mess.
 
Hello,

I am just curious to ask about Rev Huckabee's statement he made about changing the Constitution to one involving God more and what everybody's thoughts about that were?

I am not American so I wont stick my neck in this too much but I thought the likes of Jefferson and co wrote up the Constitution up specifically with the intention of separating church and state.


I for one would be against it because just because Huckerbee has his own faith there are others who have different faiths that his contradicts and would cause clashes with. But thats just an honest Limey's opinion, I would love to hear your thoughts about this

All the best

Philip
 
Drlobo, point taken.

Philip: I think Huckabee is crazy and dangerous.

My headline was meant to convey the idea that he probaby sunk any chance of election by saying that.

HUBAR is play off of FUBAR: "F----- Up Beyond All Repair."

He has Hucked Up Beyond All Repair.

The Founding Fathers -- almost ALL of them, not just Jefferson -- are SPINNING right now.

The Bible is NOT "the word of the living God," in any case. It's the only collection of historical wtitings Christians have regarding prevailing views of Christian leaders circa the fourth century. In it are ideas worth inheriting, BUT exploring anew.

Venerating the Bible is one thing. Treating it as unassailable (infallible, ineerant, etc.) is idolatry -- by standards talked about in the Bible itself.
 
Note the link I have in my sidebar to Americans United for the Separation of Church and State.

I GET that heritage from two sources: American history and Baptist history.

Most Baptists have pissed away that wise heritage. The United States is flirting with it -- and God help us.
 
ER writes, "Most Baptists have pissed away that wise heritage. "

You know, unfortunately somehow I completely missed the whole story about the Baptists and Rhode Island, and their proud heritage of Separation of Church and State, and only learned about it very recently. Somehow, I guess I always assumed that they'd been theocrats, mostly because these days works so hard to make it sound like they've always been theocrats. Too bad.

Philip writes, "I am just curious to ask about Rev Huckabee's statement he made about changing the Constitution to one involving God more and what everybody's thoughts about that were?"

My thought is that I'm glad I live only 45 minutes from the US/Canadian border. Seriously.
 
On the other hand, you have our own self-described "Crazy for Jesus Lady" from the frozen North here in Mennesota; Michele Bachmann.

She recently bragged about what a great state Minnesota is, because we have so many people working longer hours, and multiple jobs!

She didn't even have to invoke fundamentalism to say something asinine this time.
 
The fact that she has a degree from Oral Roberts University is reason enough for me to wonder about her.
 
Out of the lot of them, who do you think would do a good job?

This election scares me a little as given the candidates, I honestly wouldn't vote for any of them, I'd need convincing before I turned Anarchist!

Philip
 
Who would do a good job?

Um .....

well ....

uh ....
 
You going Anarchist too Alan, excellent, join the club!

ER, you seem like a man who knows where his towel is, you need a president like that, why dont you do it? :)
 
I agree ER is one hoopy frood.
 
LOL Y'all are makin' me blush! :-)

Among the Republicans, the only one who doesn't make me cringe is McCain.


Among the Democrats, my man already bowed out: Bill Richard, former governor of New Mexico and member of the Cabinet under President Clinton, among much other experience. I think he was the most qualified candidate of them all.

With him, gone, I'm torn between Hillary and Obama. But leaning toward Obama.
 
Who knows? Bill Richardson may be back as a VP candidate, well, unless Obama gets the nomination.

He seemed like a good guy, with the exception of his completely crazy idea of pumping Great Lakes water to the Southwest. Well, that and he apparently believes homosexuality is a choice, but that's hardly surprising for any politician these days.
 
Phil said: "I thought the likes of Jefferson and co wrote up the Constitution up specifically with the intention of separating church and state."

Irony is that it was Huck's religious group that most inspired Jefferson in this position, e.g. the Baptist (formerly Anabaptist).

The official Anglican Church of Virgina got laws past outlawing Baptist in Virgina. Jefferson fought for their freedom to worship there and won. It was one of three things that Jefferson was most proud of that he had them put on his tombstone. It reads that Thomas Jefferson was... "author of the Declaration of American Independence, of the Statute of Virginia for religious freedom, and Father of the University of Virginia" and, as he requested, "not a word more."

I agree anyone who actually graduated from Oral Roberts University need to be tagged and tracked. You know, I was told while taking an ORU tour, that the 'Prayer Tower' has been struck by lightning on the average of once a year. You would think would you not that they would get the message? (other ORU weirdos, the carpet in the ole man's office was 3 inches thick and his desk and chair were on a raised 6 inch platform in front of a lighted wall).
 
ORU grads "tagged and tracked."

Damn straight.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?