Friday, January 25, 2008

 

'Golf is a waste of good grass'

That's one of the slogans of the National Western Stock Show, in Denver, this year. Another one is: "Building Stable Relationships." Man. I could work for that outfit.

Spent a couple of hours there today is all. But I always like lookin' at all the commercial exhibits: Western and work clothing, trailers, loading chutes, other equipment, food, etc.

I'd written features from the Fort Worth Stock Show and the Houston Livestock Show, but had never been to the Denver show -- and I will go again when I've got more time.

Saw some pretty good Western art here at the Coors show. Saw some great kid art. Checked out some rabbits and chickens and roosters and goats. And saw some kids showing some prospect steers. It gave me flashbacks:

I was chaplain and a director of an organization that used to put on a big multiple-county cattle show. I loved it. Oh, and I represented a newspaper as a buyer once or twice.

Some of my most prized mementos are pix of me standin' behind a steer along with the kid, parents and judge in the show ring.

And, Lordy, I hasve taken more than my share of pix of kids with their animals, parents, buyers or donors, and all. My all-time favorite memento is a now-yellowed handwritten note from a kiddo:

"Dear Mr. (Redneck), thank you for the picture of me and my heifer."

--ER

Comments:
ER,

Please tell me you didn't go to the National Western and NOT go to the rodeo. Please?

Short round is Sunday. Final perf is Saturday. Go, man, go. Take your beautiful bride.
 
Sorry, Teditor! No rodeo. Not this time. And we are headed to the montanas tomorrow. :-)
 
I can guarantee you there will be Montanans at the rodeo. Is that enough?

Truth is, you'll likely be homesteaded by this time next year, so you can go to multiple performances. I'd be jealous. Hell, maybe I could come for a visit. My brother'd love that -- I make it to Denver for the rodeo, but I'm not actually there to see him.
 
Lordy, I HOPE I'm livin' in one place this time next year. And, come on out!
 
Given the title:
Now you've gone to meddlin! :)
http://fleshisasgrass.blogspot.com/2008/01/birdie-birdie-birdie.html
 
Ha! I saw that post. Yer quite the duffer.

I've golfed, like, a half-dozen times. Including once in Texas at a 9-hole municipal course with a bull pasture hazard on the 6th hole.
 
I've learned to love the shows, Madison is great and the Royal in Toronto - everyone is different: Minnesota State fair was great, and the Natioal Dairy Show in Mexico was super interesting!

I missed oklahoma State, hubby judged two years ago.

I love the exhibits! You find the best stuff! Whether it's shoe wax or a silk duvet, or great skin cream, show boots etc, there's always something new to discover.
And every show has it's food specialty - World Dairy Expo (Madison) has the best cream puffs, the Royal has fresh apple dumplings with ice cream
in Mexico they invite the Governor of the province and have huge banquets with liveried servers,the best food and lots of tequila!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?