Saturday, December 01, 2007

 

Writin' weather


Ooooh, it's dark and blustery and blowy out there. Could be about 20 degrees cooler, to suit me -- but this is close enough, so I'll take it.

Reminds me of late fall semesters in college, surrounded by books, studyin' in the stately piano room at Bennett Hall at Oklahoma State (pictured).

Today, it's the kitchen table, not the piano room, and just a few books, one I'm reviewing and a few others on related topics for reference; this laptop, not a typewriter (thank God); and a string of 1940s crime-detective flicks on in the other room for background noise.

The Western Channel is in a rut or something; the same few movies are on all the time. It's a shame because that kind of background would be more appropriate for the review I'm writing, which is of a book based on the journal of a cowboy on an early-early (1868) cattle drive from Texas, through Indian Territory to Missouri.

Goal: Get it done by noon, or at least in hand; then undestroy the kitchen and finish laundry (ongoing); then do some work-work; and if time make a dash to do a little "FBI work," which is we the ERs call "Christmas shopping."

Then, settle in to watch Missouri kick Sooner football butt.

--ER

Comments:
D-oh! Make that a drive to Kansas. The diarist then went on to Missouri before heading back to Texas.

1 p.m. and I'm two-thirds done with the review. Man! These little things take time. 600 words is all!

It does, in fact, take longer to write short.
 
Wife's great great great uncle, Monte Harrel and her great great grandfather Milvern brought the second herd up the Chisolm Trail in 1867. Milvern was 18 and latter settled along the trail in the area of Ninnekah, Oklahoma. So I look forward to your review. She don't give a hoot about her ancestors and what they did, but I think it is kind of neat to be directly connected to history.
 
Make that name" Harrell with two "L"s. Milvern Harrell Jr. (Sr. was a real Hell raiser) and Monte Harrell.
 
Dude, make that 1867 into an 1869 Spring of. For someone who don't give a hoot she sure does like to stand over my shoulder and correct my mistakes about anything that has to do with her "Family". Dang if she isn't beating on me now.
Help send help
 
Ha! Sic a cat on her!

Fincuehd at 2:54 p.m. I always way underestimate the time it takes to write a proper book review.

584 words.

And the weather had the dogs quiet, not barking to be fed, right up until 2:56 p.m., when Bailey realized I'd stiffed him on breakfast! Perfect timing.
 
Fincuehd = finished. Hoot.
 
Your old dorm looks like a hugish version of Bartlett Hall at Alfred University, where I spent the bulk of my time as an undergraduate.

Good work getting the review done - I am so glad I don't have dealines ;)
 
Man, at first glance, I thought that was the former Brotherhood Dorm at OBU. 'Looks just like it.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?