Wednesday, November 28, 2007

 

That ain't no tater; that ain't no radish; danged if that ain't a Thai version of a bay leaf

I don't b'lieve today could've been more out of the ordinary.

Normally, I drive 9.6 miles to work, park my truck, go in, sit at my desk and work, startin' at about 9:30 or 10 a.m. I do more editin' these days than writin' and precious little reportin' so I don't get out much. Then, I drive 9.6 miles back to the house.

Today: Up at 5 a.m., and 15 miles almost due south in downtown OKC at 7:30 a.m. Gah. A breakfast meetin' lasted until 9 a.m. Then I sat and rewrote my notes. The older I get, the less my notes are actually notes and actually are memory aids, with a shelf life of a few hours at most. So they got to be rewritten soon.

'Bout 10:15 I sauntered to a nearby newsstand, and rather than picking up the latest High Plains Journal, which I used to read regularly in the line of duty and now buy whenever I see one, I was so amused to see Willie Nelson on the cover of High Times holding two HUGE buds that I bought the dang thing.

Had the gal at the counter put it in bag pronto, 'cause more people know me by sight in downtown OKC than I know by sight, and I did NOT want it gettin' out that ER was seen buyin' a High Times -- even if it did have ol' Willie on the front!

At 11 a.m., I met an ol' friend from Texas, in town to pick up somebody at the airport, for lunch at The Cattlemen's Steakhouse, where I actually had to turn some meat back over to the waiter, my eyes havin' maintained their girth as my stomach and appetite have shrunk the past year.

Not that I ordered light: Sausage-and-cheese omelet, salsa on the side, with the hashbrowns (the ONLY flaw at The Cattlemen's is they don't have grits), toast and gravy ('cause it was too late for biscuits), and a side order of bacon, and keep that coffee comin' please.

Danged if that boy didn't bring me SIX thick slices of bacon. I gave it my best shot, but had to let No. 6 go back.

At 1 p.m., I had a rare sit-down interview on the other side of town, and was finally at my desk at the office for the first time by 3 (after sittin' in a parkin' lot rewritin' my notes), but was so clown-eyed and frazzled that about all I did was answer some e-mails and set up some pix to be shot to go with the 7:30 a.m. thing and the 1 p.m. thing, one of which is for Saturday, the other of which is for a week from Saturday, 'cause I'm workin' ahead 'cause I'll be in town but off work Wednesday-Friday next week for all-day instruction on something that'll help make me more employable in Denver, or consultable anyway.

I'm gonna learn up on the National Register of Historic Places, the laws pertainin' thereto, the tax credits attached to certain historic preservation work, historic preservation in general and &c., so I can hold myself out as an expert on such things, seein' as how I already got my main ticket punched to that line of work, which is a master's degree in history, and I have a better than passing acquaintance, but not really by much, with American architecture history, construction and such.

Headed home at 5 p.m. sharp, starved, but craving peanut sauce.

There's a Thai eatin' joint about 2 miles from the house, so after feedin' the critters, I drove over for some fresh spring rolls with peanut sauce -- the only thing I knew for sure I liked.

Perusin' the menu, and with somethin' of a sensitive tummy, I spied somethin' that sounded just about gastrointestinally right on the money: somethin' called dtom kah talay: seafood soup in a coconut broth.

"Spicey?" the waiter-cook-busboy-dishwasher asked. (Seriously. He was the only person working in the place.) "No, sir, not tonight."

"No spicey?"

"Nooo. Thanks."

Man, it was good stuff. A couple of mussels, a couple of crab toes or something, some squid ganglia, some shrimps, several unidentifiable parts of unidentifiable fish-type critters, a couple sprigs of lemon grass and some thin-sliced taters or some kind of radish, it looked like.

Munch. ? Munch-munch. ?? Why these taters are as tough as oriented strand board. Munch-munch-munch. ??? Is this a radish? Munch-munch-munch-munch. ???? Then the pungency hit. Mun-gah!

Them ain't taters! Them ain't radishes! So, I deposited half-chewed galanga, it turns out, on the spring roll plate and was done. It's kind of like a root form of Asian bay leaf.

Now, I'd never had dtom kah talay before, but one of my rules for livin' is "I'll try anything that won't crawl off the plate at least once. Except the baby octopus they sell in the mini-muffin cups at this one Chinese joint."

Dr. ER, on the phone from Florida where she is stayin' here(!!!!!) in the line of duty, allowed: "Yuck. Sounds like you got the (slang adjectival term that means 'Asian') version of menudo."

Purt' near. And it was goo-oo-oo-ood!

A fine, very out-of-the-ordinary day, all in all.

--ER

Comments:
Thai food is near the bottom of my list of favorites, right before India Indian food. What isn't understood about some ethnic food is that is prepared with stuff that is designed to kill other stuff that might be alive in it.
Thai is in that catagory. Oh yes put Tibetian between Thai and Indian. Some day try some fried Yak Yogert Curd Cakes.
 
Oooh, I have wanted to try yak cheese, butter, etc., ever since I read "Riding the Iron Rooster: By Train Through China," by Paul Theroux.
 
Actually, what I really wanted was that Indian soupy rice pudding custard stuff. But it was too far to Ajanta. I love the chicken-fried spinach there, BTW.
 
OMG how I love Indian food and miss it every single day of my exile in Smallville!! I have dreams of Ajanta and of Gopurum, which was a stone's throw sideways from my old house. The only saving grace is that there's a grocery store here that carries some organic foods, including an assortment of frozen Indian dinners from Amy's Kitchen. But you better not be standing in my way next time I'm within dining distance of Ajanta.

Oh come to me, my darlin' Palak Paneer!

Meanwhile, I feasted like a queen at the OSU Madrigal dinner tonight. There was a group of 20 of us who made the 40-mile one-way drive and paid $30 a ticket. It was so worth every mile and every dollar.
 
Yum it all sounds delicious- except the peanut sauce you were mentioning - I had a traumatic experience as a child, when Mom decided to feed me too much "pinda sauss" as the Dutch call this indonesian/asian sauce and I threw it up all over the place (too rich). To this day, although I love all asian/indian foods, and seafoods cooked and raw, I can't eat anything with peanut sauce.

I'd eat the baby octopus.
 
Sounds like you are fixin to spend a couple of butt numbing days at the SHPO December Workshops. Been a couple of times myself, actually Melvina is a wealth of information and given the opportunity would be more than happy to suggest appropriate reading material for your new potential employment.
 
Sounds like you are fixin to spend a couple of butt numbing days at the SHPO December Workshops. Just kidding, I have been several times myself and always learn something new. Actually Melvina is a wealth of information and would most likely be more than willing to give you some suggested research materials to prepare you for your potential employment.
 
Yep. She is good as gold. Thanks for mentioning the butt-numbing part. I do have a sittin' pad, and I think I'll take it with me.
 
What does baby octopus taste like??

TRIXIE: Givce me some head-sup next time you come this way and we can go to Ajanta!
 
Yahoo!!
 
Petite calamari (baby octopus) is swallowed (eaten) like oysters.

Trixie, Gopurum is a Chinese (Maderin type, unusual for Oklahoma) buffet now. Sign of the times they have Tamalies on the line as well.

I should not damn all Indian food. After all there are over 350 cultures and subcultures in the country so I'm sure there is something that is worth while. Maybe next time I will get the rice stuffed honey roasted monkey on pani.

ER, yak butter, yogurt cakes, etc.
are readily available in Denver. In fact I'll hook you up with Farmer Bill and you can milk your own yak.
 
ER -- the more Thai food you eat, the more you'll love it. And it's not all by nature spicy. Two more dishes to try that you'll like -- Pad Thai (the most basic of noodle dishes) and Mussaman curry. The curry itself is deep red and full of potatos, peanuts and meat of your choice. Sweet, peanutty goodness.
 
Don't like Thai or Indian?

feh. Philistines. :)
 
Is Gopuram really not Indian any more? Their website looks like it is. I'm supposed to go to lunch there with a friend this weekend, but we'll probably pick somewhere else if it isn't Indian.

And I'll ditto what braingirl said about Thai food growing on one. Used to be, all I'd eat was pad thai and other mild dishes, but now I lurve the curries, which can be quite hot.
 
Kristen said: "Is Gopuram really not Indian any more? Their website looks like it is."

Sure do look like I must be wrong. (make a note of this ER) I thought I was where it used to be when I was eating Chinese, but I'll differ to the web-site and re-check my data next time I am by there. Keep your dinner date.
 
If it turns out you were right, drlobojo, I'll be sure to let everyone know. ;-)
 
When I lived in DC, there was a little Indian place on Connecticut Ave, NW, just north of the Cleveland Park Metro Station that served the most delightful chicken curry and rice. They had other wonders from the subcontinent, but I was particularly fond of that (there was a Sam Goody's across the street, so I would go and buy something to listen to at home, and stop for lunch before heading back home).

Just off Conn., a bit farther south (near the National Zoo and just north of Dupont Circle) was a Thai restaurant where a lady friend previous to my spouse and I once went for dinner. The food was exquisite, although one or two of the dishes were overwhelmed by the spicy peppers.

As for the baby octopus, in Korea they actually eat them alive and slithering - a bit much for me, but, hey, one man's meat, etc., etc.

I am a gastronomic adventurer. I will try just about anything once, and if I like it, I will go back. The whole yak product line sounds interesting, although I am not a fan of yogurt by any name.

One more item, then I will shut up. There is a restaurant . . . somewhere . . . that specializes in traditional Mexican and Central American foods that offers up pan-fried mosquito eggs (by the millions, prepared in a huge wok-like contraption with just enough oil to keep the little buggers from sticking; you eat them with your hands), various lizards, some whole (tossed alive in to extremely hot ovens or boiling water), and sundry insect and other creepy-crawlies that actually looked pretty good.

PS - when my sister lived in Cameroon, children in the town in which she lived would occasionally stumble across the African version of the tarantula. When they did, the parents would build a small fire in the back yard; when it burned down to coals, the children would play a game with the spider, in which the goal was to get it to end up in the coals. After about a minute and a half, they would pull it out with a stick, and eat it like crab. My sister said it was quite good.
 
Fear Not! Gopuram is still in the same place. The Chinese buffet is in the same shopping center, but nearer the Crest grocery store. (Believe me, I've made frequent visits to both. I think I was the make-or-break customer that let the Chinese buffet know that they had made it.) That was like 5 blocks from my old house.
 
Re: National Register. If you want to make yourself employable as a consultant, get some Section 106 training if you haven't already done so.
 
Howdy, Nan. That is persactly what I'm talking about.
 
Look, if a landscape architect at a particular state school can con people into paying him large consulting fees for bungling historic preservation plans for municipalities (not naming any names here), there is no doubt that you will find a good future in this area, I am confident.
I would even bet a meal at Ajanta.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?