Wednesday, November 14, 2007

 

Statehood centennial tiredness

Busy week this week, workwise and historywise, Friday, Nov. 16 being the 100th anniversary of Oklahoma statehood! Up at 4 a.m. today! Plus Dr. ER is in the house until Nov. 25 -- our 10th anniversary!

Yesterday, for the first time since I started in ought-4, I just forgot to biog! That's how crazy this week is.

Today, I went to a session of the Conference of State Governments, which was meeting in Oklahoma City this week.

Tonight, the meeting ended with a great, low-key concert by Okies Blake Shelton and Vince Gill at what I will always know as the National Cowboy Hall of Fame, but is now the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum.

And, at one point, I took off my name badge and went out into the lobby gunnin' for a Very Important & Prominent Person in Oklahoma Business Circles, literally ready to kick his ass, because during the concert he showed his own ass so plainly it embarrassed me and shamed me, as an Oklahoman, to the point of redneckery.

Lucky for him, and me, that I missed connecting with him, the arrogant son-of-a-bitch. If you don't like this state, and its art and musicians, and you're in the business of promoting Oklahoma to others, then go to hell. Especially this week.

The upside is Drlobojo met us for dinner and the concert.

Yay Oklahoma!

--ER

Comments:
I find such rah-rah for one's state strange. But that's just me.

You don't have to feel you NEED to blog every day. Just let the spirit move you. There's no foul in missing a day.
 
The old boy showed his hiney alright. I would thought he might have drinking a bit too much, but it was a drinking song that set him off. I think maybe he has been in the "business" too long.

We might have witnessed something personal as well in his actions, but such displayed in a public place during a public event is pretty stupid given the position of the person invloved.

Heck I'm not a fan of Blake Shelton but I did resist the temptation to walk across the audience showing a double thumbs down sign and saying outloud to others "...that guy sucks" and such. After all he didn't really suck that much and he was donating his time and talent to the cause for nothing (as did Vince Gill). So I didn't do that.

Ra, Ra, State? It is home.
 
My Okie glands are especially blood-engorged and tingly, too, because of my pending move to Colorado.
 
Missing a blog day couldn't be because you were sidetracked having a lady in the house again, would it?? ;)
 
Well, I reckon that mighta had somethin' to do with it. :-)
 
I cannot bear to read of blood-engorged tingly things in the same blog post that mentions my great home state! Stop that!

(tee hee)

I think you'll have to e-mail me details of the arse-showing episode.

I've been busy all day long covering the Native
American Heritage Week activities at the local schools, which, I guess ironically appropriately, will be published on Statehood Day. Believe me when I tell you there was no accident in the timing of these events here. They also canceled the groundbreaking for the Louise B. Fluke Oklahoma Flag plaza at Standing Bear Park. Duh. Someone realized at the last possible moment that there was something highly inappropriate about that coupling.

Life is fun, isn't it, when you pay attention to the little details.

I also got nailed today because I had written a cutline about the Park & Rec. Dept. hanging holiday wreaths downtown. "HOLIDAY wreaths!" an angry caller spewed. "They are CHRISTMAS wreaths!"
 
Number Trixie among the Shock Troops in the War on Christmas! I salute you, comrade!
 
I continued today by reporting the "Community Tree Lighting" and children singing holiday songs.
 
Now you need to write up a story about how Xmas is actualy the birthday of Mithera and then put your house up for sale.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?