Friday, November 30, 2007

 

'Southern Moderate Political Protest Song'

This fell off my dresser, out of a pile of detritus, just as I was wondering what to blog today. Just a little doggerel I came up with, I think just after the 2000 election.

Make that yellow doggerel. Maybe blue doggerel.


By The Erudite Redneck

"Southern Moderate Political Protest Song"

The Party of Lincoln's sold its soul
Justice 'n liberty are just bought and sold
Big money rides high and the common man cries
And Main Street America rolls ups and dies

The Party of Roosevelt's turned from its roots
From the workin' man's callouses and farmer's old boots
They say up in D.C. they know what's the best
But I'm afraid they're just gonna tax us to death

I'm not always right, but I think I've been left
My country is travelin' a dangerous path
There's nobody left to stand for the right
Of the man in the middle and his one point of light.



--ER

Comments:
So what's the tune?
Oh yes, and how can anything "political" be moderate?
Good verse making.
 
I had a tune, but I've forgotten it. That's the trouble with not bein' able to reasd, or write, music!
 
And thanks.
 
Actually these lyrics seem to work well to the theme song of the "Beverly Hillbillies."
 
LOL. Flatt and Scruggs? I was thinkin' more along the lines of Woody Guthrie. Or maybe a saddish but edgy -- I reckon that'd be angry and mournful -- bluegrass kinda tune!
 
Oh, here's how moderate is political: When reasonable conservatives, which I can deal with, go so wack right-wing that moderate is seen as liberal.

And "deal" is the operative word. True believers suck, I don't care what they believe, left or right.

This country was founded on compromise -- the middle of the road. Moderation.

And it's biggest successes have ridden in on compromise.

So anyone who won't compromise -- no matter what -- is an enemy and a danger to our system of government, in my book.

If that makes me a leftist in the current climate, so be it. But the truth is I'm center-lib -- and if *that* makes me a pain in the right-wingers' butt, GOOD.
 
Compromise? Better concept would be consensus. Consensus, a word not in the lexicon of radicals of any kind and spelled "senseless" in the Literal Camps.
 
But that's how you get consensus -- when everyone compromises a little.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?