Saturday, October 06, 2007

 

Wherein ER eats games! Bad, bad ER!

Sigh. When Bailey, the semiretarded, semisweet redneck weinie dog who deserves a short, yellow doghouse, was a puplet, and we would leave him alone in the sunroom (in the winter, or during a storm), he would get upset.

And he would eat a game -- one of the board games we have stacked in the corner of the sunroom.

"Eating a game" entered the ER family lexicon to describe anything (mainly) I did that was self-indulgent, in self-defense, when I'm upset -- that is, tired, stressed, angry or whatever.

Boy have I eaten some games the last couple of days. Dang near every self-indulgence of mine has been indulged:

Bought 10 bottles of wine last night -- four Gnarly Head zin, four Carchelo monastrell, and two Black Swan chardonnay-semilion. Oh, and I picked up a bottle Cuervo because it was there. The wine will last a long time. The Cuervo, not so long. $130 right there.

Bought a halibut steak, which I had for supper last night, and a pound of big shrimp, for supper tonight. Food as an indulgence? I guess not. But for a landlubber, cow-eatin' farm boy from the heart of the heartland, that kind of seafood will always seem exotic somehow. Hey, it ain't pan-fried or chicken-fried? It doesn't moo? It's exotic.

Bought a big handful of cigars: some maduros and some maduro-maduros. $50 right there.

And being a weak, weak man, I just now ordered two books, because the University of California Press is havin' a dang "dirt cheap book sale," and as a member of the American Historical Association, I get a good discount: I ordered "Law for the Elephant: Property and Social Behavior on the Overland Trail," which sounds fascinating, and "Sierra Crossing: First Roads to California," which sounds equally fascinating (I have developed an odd fetish for early America, pre-railroad transportation history for some reason).

Let's see ... laundry's on, dishes are on, gettin' the house under some semblance of control. Gotta make a run to the grocery store ... I WILL finish a paper, and the talking version, for a history presentation I'm making in early November, and I WILL start reading a book to review for the state history journal now that I've read the two earlier works on the same person-topic that I felt obliged to study before delving into the new one. ...

The ou sooners are on at 2 or so, playin' Texas -- HOOK 'EM HORNS! And my Oklahoma State Cowboys are on tonight playin' Texas A&M -- GO POKES!
Lordy, I am just wallowin' in my personal vices today.

--ER

Comments:
Um, ER - did I miss something? Last night there was a post up here, and now it's gone. Or was I hallucinating?

Except for the cigars, sounds like a fine hall - I, too, enjoy all that pre-railroad, early days of American settlement stuff. BTW, I know you've got books to read and review, but have you been able to find and/or acquire a copy of McMurtry's Sacagawea's Nickname? If not - I will send you my copy (as a loaner). It is truly worth your time.
 
I am waffling on whether to leave that post up. I'd rather find a way to reconcile.

I'll look for that McMurtry book, on yer recommendation!
 
ER, I relayed your request and sent an email to your AOL account with her reply. And I'm glad you took the post down; it was an honorable and gentlemanly thing to do. I found it painful to drop by and see that reminder that two of my friends were having problems. I think a reconcillation is possible with some time. It takes that for tempers to cool and emotional pain -- of which there is much -- to soften.
 
Many thanks, Tech. It'll be awhile before I open that mail. Not long, I mean. Just not today.
 
BTW, I don't think it was either honorable nor gentlemanly to take down the post. The decentest thing to do would have been to ignore her -- but I did want people to know of her ruse. I wasn't the only around here she duped.
 
Don't know what I missed but I think I'm real glad I missed it, whatever IT was.
 
Love the term "eat a game" and I'm with you. If it ain't swimming in gravy or made with copious amounts of white sugar, it's exotic.
 
Hey, D. Dude, I'm thinkin' we could partay. :-)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?