Sunday, October 28, 2007

 

Thoreauly draconian

Oklahoma Legislature outlaws Christian kindness.

A. It shall be unlawful for any person to transport, move, or attempt to transport in the State of Oklahoma any alien knowing or in reckless disregard of the fact that the alien has come to, entered, or remained in the United States in violation of law, in furtherance of the illegal presence of the alien in the United States.

B. It shall be unlawful for any person to conceal, harbor, or shelter from detection any alien in any place within the State of Oklahoma, including any building or means of transportation, knowing or in reckless disregard of the fact that the alien has come to, entered, or remained in the United States in violation of law.


I will not act as an agent of the government. I hereby disregard the fact of one's citizenship if one is in need and I am in a posititon to help.


Thoreau:

But government in which the majority rule in all cases can not be based on justice, even as far as men understand it. Can there not be a government in which the majorities do not virtually decide right and wrong, but conscience?—in which majorities decide only those questions to which the rule of expediency is applicable? Must the citizen ever for a moment, or in the least degree, resign his conscience to the legislator? Why has every man a conscience then? I think that we should be men first, and subjects afterward. It is not desirable to cultivate a respect for the law, so much as for the right.

Read all of Henry David Thoreau's "Resistance to Civil Government, or Civil Disobedience."

--ER

Comments:
First of all, you would be acting as an agent for your fellow Americans. It is they from which our government is formed, and it is they who are represented by our government officials.

Secondly, the law as stated looks to prevent those who would aid and abbet(sp) law breakers. I seriously doubt that if one of these invaders was in a life threatening situation, that aid would result in any penalty. If you are simply helping them break the law, by harboring them as they seek to avoid detection, then you are as guilty and worthy of arrest and sentencing.
 
I said nothing about harboring aliens, or transporting them. The idiots who wrote the law wanted to make that illegal, but, being idiots, they've made it illegal for me to give a ride to, give good to, or otherwise extend any kindness to someone without asking about their citizenship.

Tell me: How do you reconcile being a heartless bastard with your profession of an allegedly transforming faith in Jesus Christ? Knowledge of matters of faith isn't redemptive. If it doesn't extend to you hands and feet, it doesn't exist. ... I wish someone would ask Randy Terrill that.
 
I retract "heartless bastards." I let my rhetoric run away fro me there. Seriously: I think your priorities are backward from what they ought to be -- but that doesn't necesarrily mean you're heartless. And I know nothing of yer pedigree. :-)
 
Rigor, Orthodoxy, and Law without latitude are always found in the same nest.
 
Why did you retract your "heartless bastard" comment? Civility is fine, but sometimes we must call a spade a spade, and a heartless bastard a heartless bastard.
 
I done splained why I dood it.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?