Wednesday, October 24, 2007

 

'Raising Sand'

What a great album of sweet and haunting duets. "Killing the Blues" is the one I heard on the radio Sunday, which sent me directly to B&N to reserve one.

I thought it was some '70s easy-listening tune I'd never heard -- and was floored when the jock said it was new ---- and dang near drove off the road when he said it was Robert Plant and Alison Krauss.

No wonder I thought it was a '70s tune: It's a John Prine tune from '79.

Go here and listen to snippets of "Killing the Blues" and other songs on "Raising Sand"!

Here's a review from That Truncheon Thing, two guys in Atlanta. They were as surprised by the coolness of this collaboration as I was.

--ER

Comments:
I heard Killing the Blues on Sirius on the satellite t.v. and loved it!

Great stuff.
 
Well, any thing she sings is great in my book. Her version on of the Keith Whittley sone is my favorite.
"You say it best when you say nothing at all" in my top ten favorits.

Jeannie Diane
 
Several people at work have been raving about this CD. I have listened to a tune or two - I think it is among the best things recorded, in any genre, in years. I think it ranks with Emmylou Harris' Red Dirt Girl, and Tom Waits Mule Variations, maybe even Ray LaMontagne's (?) Trouble. I shall be picking up a copy for me and the Mrs. next paycheck.
 
I confess: It makes me want to blow a J.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?