Thursday, October 11, 2007

 

Flags, fags* and Farces on the Family

You can tell Farces on the Family is sweating, with an election in the offing and the Smurfs running for the GOP presidential nomination. (Smurfette, of course, is a Dem).

Most of the "news" on the Farces on the Family Reaction site is no more news than the fact I just tooted:

Pelosi Defends Removal of 'God' From Flag Certificates

I've got one of these certificates, and I never noticed a God reference.

Hmmm, looks like an Eagle Scout is trying to use a side-door method of imposing his own will, and that of the theocratic wing of the GOP, on the rest of this increaasingly secular country. Side-door methods are OK, unless you're ...

... gay ...

Same-Sex 'Divorce' Cases Have 'Marriage' in Mind

"The truth is, they want to destroy traditional marriage." A lie on its face. Expanding the definition of marriage no more destroys marriage than expanding my vocabulary destroys my ability to communicate.

Do what? These people are wack, I tells ya, wack.

"The opponents of marriage aren't merely trying to redefine marriage, they're trying to eliminate marriage."

Dr. Dobson is sounding increasingly shrill and desperate: "It's not just marriage that is at stake, it's absolutely evrything." Consider yourself called to action.

Aren't most of the people who oppose marriage married, heterosexuals and professed Christians who demonstrate their hatred of it by cheating on their spouses and getting divorces of expedience? Thought so.

Let 'em marry. Let 'em divorce. I DON'T CARE. What's good for the heterosexual goose is good for ... the ... gay ... gander.

I should probably have some coffee now.

--ER


(*Minor epithet used for alliterative and rhyming purposes only.)

P.S. Word schmords! Above, I answer Farce on the Family's brand of disingenuousness with some milder, rolling-of-the-eyes forms of my own. Y'all word people can work it out,

Usage Note (from www.thefreedictionary.com): The meaning of disingenuous has been shifting about lately, as if people are unsure of its proper meaning. Generally, it means "insincere" and often seems to be a synonym of cynical or calculating. Not surprisingly, the word is used often in political contexts, as in It is both insensitive and disingenuous for the White House to describe its aid package and the proposal to eliminate the federal payment as "tough love." This use of the word is accepted by 94 percent of the Usage Panel. Most Panelists also accept the extended meaning relating to less reproachable behavior. Fully 88 percent accept disingenuous with the meaning "playfully insincere, faux-naïf," as in the example "I don't have a clue about late Beethoven!" he said. The remark seemed disingenuous, coming from one of the world's foremost concert pianists. Sometimes disingenuous is used as a synonym for naive, as if the dis- prefix functioned as an intensive (as it does in certain words like disannul) rather than as a negative element. This usage does not find much admiration among Panelists, however. Seventy-five percent do not accept it in the phrase a disingenuous tourist who falls prey to stereotypical con artists.

Comments:
I only wish we queers had the kind of power that Dobson, et. al. attribute to us. Not only are we capable of destroying a millennias (millenniums?) old institution like marriage, (even though we're only ~5% of the population, and even fewer than that want to marry) but apparently we can destroy everything else as well. Sweet.

Fear our mighty power! Bwah ha ha ha ha!

(I had my coffee -- which is probably apparent.) :)
 
Oh, you evil, twisted agenda-pushing homosexuals!!

I sometimes wonder if there isn't more than a touch of attraction/repulsion going on - how else do we account for the frothing of people like Dobson?

The facts, of course, are as you put them out there - with the rise of no-fault divorce, and the itchy feet that people sometimes get, the biggest destroyers of marriage are . . . married people!!
 
BTW - I didn't weigh in because I thought you were doing a fine job, and my patience with the kind of thing ELAshley was up to is kind of thin on the ground of late. That's all. Great post - a nice modern parable/parallel thought experiment.
 
"with the rise of no-fault divorce, and the itchy feet that people sometimes get, the biggest destroyers of marriage are . . . married people!!"

Heh. Reminds me of a quote from the Daily Show --

"It's a defense of marriage initiative, Jon. it says to homosexuals wishing to spend their lives in a happy committed relationship, "Marriage doesn't apply to you." But if you're in a loveless heterosexual marriage, don't worry. Doesn't affect you. Or for that matter, arranged marriages, third marriages, Russian brides, abusive alcoholic codependents locked in a cycle of violence and despair. That's still covered.

And if you're a repressed homosexual who managed to squeeze three kids out of your wife only by mentally airbrushing Pierce Brosnan's a**-crack on her lips, fear not. Marriage remains the same sacred institution you've always been trapped in."
 
Alan - RFLMAO. Pierce Brosnan's asscrack . . . Man - I don't care who you are, that's just funny.
 
(nicotine gum wad projected into left nostril)

!!!


Speaking of fetishes and fantasie (that *was* what we were talking about, right?) HOLLY HUNTER WAS HERE, IN OKC, TODAY, and I did not havce time to go see her and throw myself at her feet and make a Very Public Scene!

Man. Life sucks, sometimes. :-)
 
On an only-somewhat related note, the blogger known as Junk Thief is in your town, and has posted several interesting pics.

Why's this related? Uh, gay dude in OKC. I dunno...
www.junkthief.blogspot.com
 
LOL! The dude would not get a job at the chamber of commerce!

Haaaarssshhh!
 
Gay dude in OKC? Okay, I may use that as one of my many positioning monikers. Actually, I think if the Chamber of Commerce used some of my observations that might attract more investors. Some of my east and west coast readers seem to be intrigued. And, of course, I only have high dollar fans. My latest entry, however, is almost C of C endorsement worthy.
 
LOL. "Creative CLas Welcome Here." The CofC has all but hung banners to that effect -- abouyt, what, 10 years after it was "in"?

Notice, though, the GLBT-friendly banner on the street between the airport (Meridian?) and Airport Road! I damn near simultaneously spilled by vente coffe with hazelnut AND wrecked my Dodge truck in a doubletake when I first saw it! BTW, we do have -- and have had for 20-plus year -- like, the gay rodeo finals or something. :-) Point: there are still wisps of the libertarian wind in OKC.
 
Okay, I'll need to check out that rainbow banner when I head to the airport tomorrow afternoon. That'll be comfort to one of my LA-based commenters who asked if they lunch fags here. A libertarian wind? I think I smelled one of those coming from the Stockyards the other day. (Grins.)
 
Ha!

You know, where I come frome, when we smelled cow shit, we said:

Smells like money!
 
BTW, I'm sure there is some, um, lunching of fags here. LOL.
 
I walked into Barnes and Noble here in San Francisco today and displayed right as I walked in was a new book satriziing the right-wing Christians!
 
Oh, yes. Sorry, I said lunch when I meant brunch (certainly not lynch!).
 
How do you satirize the absurd? That takes talent.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?