Wednesday, September 05, 2007

 

A moment for the late D. James Kennedy

Just a moment. May God bless his family and those who came to a relationship with God through Jesus Christ because of Kennedy's ministry.

A story about his passing.

I participated in Evangelism Explosion, his legacy, in the early 1980s, just out of high school, 25 years ago.

My "E.E." teacher was a rare charismatic Southern Baptist, a woman a little older than I am now, named Joni. I still have a note from her on a little sticky note, stuck to the back cover of what then was my main Bible. Yes, a Scofield. I now reject Scofield's dispensationalism as hooey. I could be wrong.

I never saw the world in the same way as Dr. Kennedy. I think the "Culture Wars" are bull. I did see then, and now, the gist of the Gospel the way he did, although I think, now, that getting hung up on the details detracts from the Mystery of the Cross.

The heart of Evangelism Explosion:

Do you know for sure that when you die you are going to go to be with God in heaven?

If God were to ask you, "Why should I let you into my heaven?" what would you say?


That's a great way to start a discussion and, for some, the beginning of a lifelong journey seeking a relationship with God.

Godspeed, brother.

--ER

Comments:
He'll be missed. I appreciated his focus on evangelism and the cause of life.
 
Evangelism Explosion, like many other evangelicals creates a paradox in their "path" to Salvation.

1. Christ has paid the full price for your sins, and because of this your salvation is by his grace and it is totally free.

2.Although you can not save yourself, you must submit your all to Jesus after he has "given" you his "free gift" of salvation.

Now that is a paradox. Perhaps even doublthink. Is it not?
 
I think a thoughtful Baptist would say that No. 2 flows naturally out of No. 1, and that it takes the rest of one's life for it to come to fullness.
 
Interesting question, Drlobojo. Thinking about it that way, it's easy to become a Christian - just accept God's gift - but danged difficult to remain a Christian - follow all Jesus' teachings and ask for forgiveness if/when you fail in following Christ.

But assuming that you're not required to have perfect knowledge (ie, you have to KNOW perfectly each and every possible sin so that you can repent of it when you stray), then I don't think it'd be doublethink.

That is: following Jesus' teachings because you think it is the Correct Way - to the best of your understanding of it, as opposed to HAVING to have a perfect understanding of Jesus' teaching and HAVING to comply wholly with it without fail.
 
Dang nabit!! I didn't even know he died.

I am not sure I agree with Dr. Lobo's insight of how Christ's sacrifice is accredited to creation, but that's for another day. And yes, ER, what you said in response is what I'd concur with (not be confused with a cur dog)

Are we going to be left with Joel Olsteen and others like him as our American tele-evangelists? Lord, I hope not.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?