Monday, August 13, 2007

 

Trio of geezer greats

Oh, man. Let the country countdown begin.

Mr. K. Kat, my oldest continuous friend from my hometown, is comin' out Friday to go with me to see Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson and Ray Price, who are on what they're callin' the Last of the Breed Tour.

Very cool.

I haven't been to that many concerts. In fact, the last one I saw was with Mr. K. Kat, and another friend: Dwight Yoakam, five or six years ago. Keith Urban was there, too.

I went to Farm Aid, as a member of the workin' press, in Columbia, S.C., 10 years ago. Saw Willie there, and John Cougar Mellancamp and Jewel and John Conlee and Martina McBride and others.

Before that, I saw Reba and a few others, including the Dixie Chicks at a regular ol' dancehall, right before they hit it big. And I saw Garth Brooks just as "Friends in Low Places" was released -- awesome. All in Wichita Falls.

Before that, most of my concert goin' was of the Gospel and contemporary Christian type, in churches and small-town venues: B.J. Thomas, The Imperials, Amy Grant, the Cathedrals, Florida Boys, Happy Goodmans and the like.

What was the last concert you saw? Or your favorite?

--ER

Comments:
Now don't gag...

My first concert ever was the Osmond Brothers at Angels stadium in Anaheim when I was 12. (Donny parachuted in from the giant "A" that is no longer there.)

I didn't go to another one until Air Supply in Denver when I was 21. Since then I've been to three Barry Manilow concerts, and that's it.

I'd LOVE to go to a Josh Groban concert sometime. :)
 
Last concert I saw was Surgarland last September.

Best concert: It's a tie between Martina McBride opening for Garth in Tulsa in the early 1990s and the Reba-Brooks & Dunn concert in Wichita in 1997. Both awesome. Both energized.

Garth was atop the charts when I saw him, and I was covering it for the Stillwater, Okla., paper, which was a big deal since he "got his big start" in Stillwater in the 1980s. Twas also the name of his band.
 
Like you, much of my youth was "wasted" on gospel and Contemporary Christian music. Having said that, I think probably still the best concert I have ever attended was the Rich Mullins concert in Louisville, KY a few years before he died.

I still dig Rich and that particular concert was all acoustic and way cool.

The last concert I attended was the annual Kentucky Music Weekend in July. My NEXT concert will be the Uncle Earl concert also here in Louisville, on 9/11.

Great stuff, they have samples on their webpage, check 'em out.
 
Marie Osmond: babe!

Air Supply: Dr. ER saw them in Wichita Falls back in the day!


Hey, Teditor: My first semester at Oklahoma State, my dorm roomie was a banjo picker from Tulsa who was once-removed from Garth's inner circle, when he was still wearin' ballcaps and tennis shows and playin' Dan Fogleberg and James Taylor songs at Willie's Old Time Saloon, on the Strip. :-)
 
Air Supply, Barry Manilow, all this country music and gospel. Truly a different world from the one I have inhabited most of my years.

Best of my concerts: Allman Brothers, in 1995. Dream Theater this past Friday. Blackfoot in a bar in upstate New York one summer in college (great slide guitar work!).
 
Emmylou Harris in OKC about 6 or 7 years ago. She were about 1 and 1/2 inches tall. We were in the balcony.
 
Emmylou Harris in OKC about 6 or 7 years ago. She were about 1 and 1/2 inches tall. We were in the balcony.
 
Did I stutter or something?
 
My last concert. Was Mark Bishop. He went out on his own. From the Bishops. Great harmony with his brother and dad. They started because there grandma. Was in a nursing home. They made some tapes for her to listen to.

My best was Toby Keith. Before he hit it big. In Ft Smith, to many yrs to know, or was it to much beer.

I am so jelous of you and K Kat.
Jeannie Diane (oh hi K. Kat)
 
Last concert: Blind Alabama Boys played at the University, opened by House Of Doc
 
The one that got away, but that I really, really wanted to see: John Prine last year, in Victoria BC.
 
John Prine! That would be cool.

Then there's the much-less-known John Boy Prine, whose signature song was "You're Rebel Flag Decal Won't Getcha Into Heaven Anymore."

Man. I should should do this for a livin'. :-)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?