Wednesday, July 18, 2007

 

A short brief on the proper and effective placement of personal pronouns in a classic country-and-western song

So, I got a new cell phone the other day -- first new one since, 2002, I think. Seriously. It actually plays SONGS, not just tones.

So I 'necked it up good: When it rings, Merle Haggard barks: "Ain't no woman gonna change the way I think. Think I'll just stay here and drink." With accompanying piano, guitar and horns.

And so I've been singin' old Haggard tunes ever since. I even broke out my Merle Haggard CD box set. My current favorite -- because it is smack dab in my range, and I can sing it really well -- is "The Emptiest Arms in the World."

I LOVE this song. The point I make in the headline is seen below in the third line of the second verse, bolded.

It seems at first like he's singing to the listener. But he's actually singing to his lost love. It's effective because that "you" brings it home. You realize he's not telling us about a phone call, but that he's letting us listen in on it.

Merle Haggard: fellow erudite redneck.


THE EMPTIEST ARMS IN THE WORLD
(Merle Haggard)
©'73 Tree Publishing, BMI

I only call when I've had that one too many
And my lonely room goes spinning in a whirl
And tonight I couldn't even find my pillow
I've got the emptiest arms in the world

I no longer wear the gold band on my finger
And from time to time I find myself a girl
But when I realize that she's not you I'm holding
I've got the emptiest arms in the world

Empty arms won't ever hold you close again
And these cheap hotels they're like a prison cell that keeps closin' in

And you alone can fill this lonely feelin' of the emptiest arms in the world

And you alone can fill this empty feelin' of the emptiest arms in the world


--ER

Comments:
LOL--I got a bit sidetracked by a phone call while I was reading this post. I thought you were posting it for Dr. ER, and wondered what possessed you when I got to the second verse!
 
Merle is one of the great American voices, along with Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, George Jones, and (going back a few decades) Hank Snow. This is country music for me; I loved The Outlaws, and Waylon and Willie, and I still love Willie Nelson. Which Haggard box set do you own? My local Borders, which is the only music source in our area (believe it or not) doesn't carry country box sets, just rock, blues, and jazz.

Someday I will tell you about being force-fed Hee Haw as a child, and its effect upon my music listening habits.
 
F: LOL!

G: The R's LOVED "Hee Haw"! What's not to love?? Dancin' pigs in skirts! Crazy jackass laughin' and rollin' his eyes! Gloom, despair and agony on me! Hey, Grandpa, what's for supper! LULU! BR-549! I'm a pickin' ... and I'm a grinnin'! Pbhthth, she was gone! NURSE GOODBODY! The Empty Arms Hotel! The Haggar twins. Buck Owens' red-white-and-blue guitar!

Man. THAT was TV. :-)
 
The Haggard box set is "Down Every Road, 1962-1994"
 
Hey, I think it would be interesting to know what songs your readers have on their phones. My main ring tone is, "If the Phone Doesn't Ring," by Jimmy Buffet.

So what's on your phone?

Crystal
 
Hey, that's a fine idea for a meme. I'll try to remember to make it Friday's post. I got to try to help save a dog for Bird on Thursday.
 
My rigtone is the ACTUAL guitar intro to "Sweet CHild of Mine:" by Guns 'n Roses.... OH WOH WOH SWEET CHILD OF MY EEE EYE INE ... GO get em Slash.
 
I need a new one. I'm 'bout tired of Haggard. ... I used to have "Dixie" play, but that can be awkward in some circumstances. .. Maybe some other Southern, but oscure, tune. ...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?