Thursday, July 19, 2007

 

Help save Sadie!

Damn. This is from Bird, my beloved, big-hearted, redheaded redneck stepdaughter. It made my eyes leak. And it loosened my own grip on my billfold.

My personal challenge: If you're a regular here, and you've enjoyed it, or been challenged by it, or blessed by it, or otherwise glad for it, give a little. And pass along. Copy and paste, or link to it, or use the send feature at bottom.

--ER



By Bird

Hello Everyone.

The past three months, I have been volunteering at the Boston Terrier Rescue of Greater Houston. I get up every morning at 7:30 to clean the entire kennel and feed all the “kids” as we call them.

I have two Boston Terriers myself, Fenway and Apollo, who have changed my life. I have been a dog lover my entire life and it seemed almost fate that this particular rescue was so close to my fiancé’s parent’s home. Karen, the founder of BTRGH, made a safe-place for all neglected Boston Terriers in need -- she is an angel.

If you have never had the pleasure of knowing a Boston Terrier, they are the spunkiest and most loving dogs I have ever known. It fulfills me to help all of these needy dogs, many of whom have come from extremely devastating pasts.

They all have their stories and all have a place in my heart, but one in particular has captured the hearts of all the volunteers. Her name is Sadie, a name I will never hear without thinking of this sweet girl. Here is her story.

Sadie came to us from the Municipal Shelter in Pearland, Texas. From the moment she came, everyone knew that she had been severely neglected. I met her one morning I went to clean the kennel. There was a new dog and I all but ran to see the new face we were going to help.

Her little face looked so old and sad --but something told me she was special. She was not just in need of a good meal and a bath, she needed a lot of work and, most of all, a lot of love.

While she looks very aged, Sadie is only 1 year old and all of that one year has been lived in pain. She can barely walk -- it’s more like a hobble -- and her little tongue doesn’t quite stay in her mouth.

She has the sweetest face and, despite her problems, she is full of spirit! She “sings” to me every morning with a raspy little howl and loves to meet and play with other dogs. At a Purina Rally to Rescue event a few weeks ago she got so excited when a little boy gave her a toy and she hobbled over to meet some Basset Hounds in the booth next to us.

Many have already given up on her, and we're not going to do that to her again. She deserves the best because she is not ready to give up on herself. Sadie wants a forever home so very badly, but there is so much she needs before that can become a reality for our little Sadie-Potatie!

Sadie’s first owners claim that she fell down the stairs and when they sold her to another owner, they told them she would be fine. When they realized that she was not getting better, they dropped her at the shelter in Pearland, which then sent her to us.

She has been with is for a month or two now and we have finally been able to send her to the veterinary hospital at Texas A&M, where she was referred. She will be staying in foster in College Station throughout her treatment thanks to our wonderful volunteers.

They found that Sadie’s problem is partially congenital and partially due to neglect of her condition when she was a puppy by her first owners. She has two herniated disks in her back and the ligaments in both of her back knees will need to be repaired.

The estimated cost for all of this is somewhere between $3,500 and $6,000.

Obviously, for a small rescue like this, raising money like this is a huge undertaking and we are seriously underfunded for her expenses. We all love Sadie so much and her spirit deserves to be loved in a home.

We are planning a dog wash at a Houston dog park to raise some funds and are doing all we can to get this little girl better!

I wanted all dog-lovers out there to hear her story because it deserves to be heard. No dog should have to live in pain from human neglect!

If there is anything you can do to help our Sadie, no matter how small, your kindness would be greatly appreciated! Below is information on how to donate. Please visit the website to learn more about our organization and keep up with her!!

Please forward this to anyone you think would benefit from her story! Thank you for your time. Help save Sadie!!

Donations can be mailed to:
Boston Terrier Rescue of Greater Houston
25318 Oakhurst Drive
The Woodlands, TX 77386

Mark the check: "For Sadie."


Donations can also be made through PayPal via the BTRGH Web site: www.houstonbostonrescue.org. [Couldn't get links to work. --ER]

You can view all available rescues here: www.bostonterriers.petfinder.com.

--Bird

Comments:
Poor Sadie!
 
That reads like a bad version of a internet chain letter.
 
Whoever "anonymous" is- you are obviously a heartless individual. Its one thing to not feel the need to donate, its another thing to bash someone's effort to save a deserving animal.
 
Well, I didn't expect everyone to be touched by Sadie's story, but I really didn't think anyone would be so blunt about thier dislike of my effort. I know not everyone has had the pleasure of being loved by a dog, but I don't think there is anything wrong with exhausting all options to help her. Whether its a "bad version of an internet chain letter" or not, maybe just maybe one or two dollars from a few people will make a difference.
 
Anon 12:19pm, you are an ass.
 
Hey, ER, is there any chance your alma mater's vet school could help out? I read somewhere a long time ago where they look for cases for their students -- of course, their teachers supervise everything so the animals are getting top notch care. I don't know if they still do that or if this is the right time of year for them to be looking for cases, but it might be worth a phone call to find out. Maybe you could even offer to write a PR story about it in exchange for services. :)

Crystal
 
Hmmm. Ya know, my alma mater is Bird's nowa schooler. Bird: Call 'em and see if they need to develop student surgeon expertise on herniated disks.
 
Well, her disk repair has already begun because it was so severe they didn't want to make her wait any longer, but I will mention OSU to Karen. Sadie was expected to get worse with this 1st surgery before she got better- but she is such a trooper- she's eating and drinking already. Still a long long road for her. Also, I neglected to mention that the donations are tax-deductible because they are non-profit. I'm sure you would have to have proof or something with a cancelled check, but that's a plus!!
 
Bird, I'm proud of you for making the effort to help Sadie and for your tender animal-loving heart. That's the best kind of people.
And I have to give huge thumbs up for the OSU vets. My own Fefe went to see them because they had the latest in techniques to help with canine cataracts. I was amazed. I thought sure they were going to have her speaking about what she could see on the eye chart. I was even more surprised when they said I could get braces to help with her overbite. They sure do everything they can to help animals!
 
Bird, people on the internet are like those anonymous students doing the electric shock experiments. So long as they can remain invisiable 30% will admisnister pain for the hell of it. That's something to remember as you live in this world.

Conversely, donating that amount of money to save a pup does bring up the concept of priorities. Many readers here probably thought about noting that such money would better serve distributing musquito nets in Africa or rice to Dafur.

But is also a sure bet that those same people probably won't send help to your pup or Darfur.

Remember the maximum that "No Good Deed Will Go Unpunished." Then as your remember that, go ahead and do it anyway. That's what makes you human and distinguishs you and those like you from those walking husks pretending to be human.
 
I was wrong, it wasn't 30% it was 65%.
Check out:
http://www.new-life.net/milgram.htm.
 
Anonymous people do suck.

Hey, I thought about how such money might be used to help people rather to help a critter.

Money is a zero-sum thing -- if I give $50 to help a pup, then I can't give $50 to help a people.

But, the donation I made was over and above what I normally give to various and sundry. So, no person I would have given to help is going without.

And while money is a zero-sum thing, giving in the absract, and grace in practice, are not. Bread upon the water and such.

Bird was driven to help the pup because she has been blessed by her; Bird's concern for the pup blessed me, which caused me to donate, which in turn reblessed Bird, and Sadie, and the lady who runs the rescue. All that blessing creates waves of people getting outside of themselves, which is the crux of spiritual growth, which hinges on emptying oneself, and that is the heart of accepting, and passing along, the holy infection of Grace.

Sadie has blessed people who've never met her. She is an angel dressed like a poor little crippled puppy. Dog is love.
 
And, my Bird writes well!

And yes, I'm proud of her, for that and many other things.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?