Thursday, July 26, 2007

 

Confusion over definition of 'hushpuppy' sparks multi-ethnic 'incident' over traditional Southern cuisine, or, 'I'm fixing to kick some foreign butt'


One of these days, the South will no longer just lie down and take this kind of abuse.

Quite awhile back, Bird and I were havin’ supper at a Charleston’s restaurant -— excellent food, good bar, nice atmosphere. I was pleasantly surprised to see a catfish plate on the menu, which tends more toward middle-of-the-road American fare.

I asked the waitress: “Does y’alls’ catfish come with hushpuppies? She said she didn’t know but that she'd get a manager, which I thought was odd. A manager came up and asked, with strained English and a heavy accent of some kind, how he could help.

“Does y’alls’ catfish come with hushpuppies?” I asked. “Do mean th’batter-n-th’fry?” he said, or something close. “Yes,” I replied. “Hushpuppies. Deep-fried corn fritters, basically.” He assured me that the catfish came with hushpuppies.

Of course, the catfish did not come with hushpuppies. I called the waitress over.

“I asked specifically if y’alls’ catfish came with hushpuppies and your manager told me they did, and there are no hushpuppies. Where are the hushpuppies?” She said she didn’t know but would find out.

The manager came back and asked how he could help. “You told me that y’alls’ catfish comes with hushpuppies. Where are the hushpuppies?” I asked, gettin’ a little red of the neck. He looked confused.

I held a hand up and made a circle with my index finger and thumb: “Man, HUSHPUPPIES. Corn meal. Deep-fried. Sometimes they’re round like this, sometimes they’re longer than they are wide. You get about a handful of ‘em with catfish!”

He look stricken, and excused himself. I saw him whispering with the waitress. A few mintes later, the waitress came back and apologized.

“I’m sorry. He thought you were asking if the catfish was battered and fried,” she said. “As opposed to what?” I may have fairly roared. “Well, grilled or broiled,” she said.

I harrumphed something about grilled or broiled catfish -— or catfish prepared any way other than filleted and fried, after being rolled in seasoned corn-meal -— was an abomination.

I acknowledged, however, that such existed, but that it never occurred to me that it would come any way but fried since the only two side dishes that came with the meal were slaw and fries.

An incident was averted when the waitress deleted the catfish meal from the ticket, continued to apologize (which was unnecessary) and vowed to teach her manager what a goldarn hushpuppy was (which was smart), and relay my message to whomever needed to know that selling fried catfish without hushpuppies is just wrong.

TODAY, for lunch, I went to what Dr. ER had told me was a good catfish joint -— she punctuated the news by bringing me a couple of little sweet potato pies she got at the place. This was the last time she was here. She had gone down by the Capitol on business; that’s where the joint is, so I went today to check it out.

Real quick upon walkin’ in I realized: This ain’t no catfish joint. It was an Asian seafood joint. But I knew they had catfish and so I ordered a catfish-and-shrimp basket and paid for it before noticing that the menu says “Comes with Texas Toast.”

“I’d rather have hushpuppies if you have ‘em,” I said to the gal who took my order. “Oh, you can substitute hushpuppies for the Texas toast,” she said. “Great. Let’s do it,” I said.

Ten minutes later, out came the basket. The catfish filets looked fine: thin, crispy, cornmeal. The shrimp were big but battered with that flour-based kind of batter that puffs up that I’ve only seen at Chinese restaurants.

And there, under the fries, was a triune blob of something deep-fried. It looked like three hushpuppies that had gotten too close to one another in the deep fryer and had become one. No big deal, I thought.

A bite or five into it all, I grabbed the triune blob, tore off a third and noticed the distinct absence of cornmeal texture or coloring. “Well,” I thought, “maybe it’s white cornmeal and ground real fine.” I took a bite.

“Bleah! Pft! Pft! Pbtbthh!”

It wadn’t no three-headed hushpuppy! It was a dadgum molten blob of sweet fry bread! It was dang near donut-holish with its sweetness and its breadiness and its totally-out-of-placeness next to a pile of fried catfish in a Styrofoam clamshell in ANY kind of joint, catfish, Asian or what.

Hushpuppies come different ways, some have more onion than others, some come with jalapenos, some come with actual kernels of corn -- but the two main elements are: cornmeal and fried.

What the heck about that is hard to understand, y'all? One of these days, the South is liable to rise again over just such culinary sleight-of-hand.

--ER

Comments:
You know, it just keeps hitting me over and over again how lucky I am to live where I live.

There's lots of people here from Everywhere Else, and they all brought their food with them. The stores make sure that there's at least a pretty good selection of the raw ingredients for pretty much any meal you could dream up.

Just that. If you want a good hushpuppy, give The Delta a try, if you find yourself in Portland...
 
MY DREAM PLACE! "There's lots of people here from Everywhere Else, and they all brought their food with them." 'Cause I like all kinds of ethnic vittles, including, however, my own!
 
Sooooo, how's your cholesterol level? ;)
 
I spent five years in the South and never got the hang of fatback, collard greens, or putting bacon in with just about every vegetable imaginable. But hush puppies? I knew what they were growing up in rural upstate New York!

Black eyed peas, sweet potato pie, and this thick, ugly chicken stew they make in Southside Virginia that is just about the best tasting chicken stew around - they call it muddle in Sussex County - were all acquired tastes that I miss.

That and winter lasting about six weeks.
 
Now, this is journalism!
 
F: I have just dang near tumped over at my desk a couple of times this afternoon. Fried catfish, fried taters, fried shrimp, fried faux hushpuppy morsel. Whoa. But hey, I have been eating light and right, for the most part, for the past few weeks.

G: Yer makin; me want chicken-n-dumplin's.

A: That's what I was thinkin'.
 
A new Cajun place operated by Katrina transplants opened down in the Jenny Lind community. My mama and daddy went out there last week and the dang hushpuppies wuz BURNT. To a crisp! Daddy asked the owner/cook if perhaps he could have another fist-full -- cooked a little less.

Daddy was told, "That's how we make em."

So even some folks in Louisiana don't seem to git hushpuppies right.

How odd.
 
They do like everythin' blackened!
 
Muddle isn't chicken an dumplings. It's similar to Brunswick Stew, but tomatoes rest as part of the base of muddle, both for flavor and for the acid to help separate the meat from the bone. Creamed corn is the last element added as a thickener. I will tell you, in all fairness, that after sitting in the refrigerator for a day, it looks like congealed vomit. Heat it, put some red pepper on it, and it is ambrosia. You just have to close your eyes at the first bite.
 
I finally got my first chickey-fried steak in my new old hometown Tuesday night. Too bad I had to share the cafe with all the imports who were here for the Motocross championships. Ah, well, the food definitely was worth it.
 
Chicken-fried steak: Proof that God loves us.

G, now there's a recipe book: Food that Looks Like Vomit but Tatstes Like Ambrosia.

Mama ER used -- shudder -- to fix this glop -- shudder -- that had brocolli, Velveeta and vienna sausages and rice, I think. The ONLY thing she ever made that I didn't like. I think she fixed it when she wanted to actually get to eat her own fill.
 
I must confess I have never had chicken-fried steak, or chicken-fried chicken for that matter. Perhaps I am missing out on one of life's true joys.
 
(Falls plumb over)
 
Geoff's missin' out. But if he doedn't have a chicken-fried steak made Southern style -- with mashed taters and cream gravy over it all -- then he's REALLY missing out. I mean, CFS without cream gravy is just a crime.
 
CFS without cream gravy is a big steak finger. ... which ain't bad, actually ...
 
ER, we have a little in common. I like fried fish that was rolled in corn meal and hush puppies that look like those in the picture, then add some slaw with the right kind of dressing.
 
Oh, Mom2, we've got more in common that you think, I'll bet. :-)
 
Had me some Lake Superior trout cooked Ojibway style last night. Baked on a moist cedar plank at the Old Ritten House in Bayfield Wisconsin. Never really had "mellow" fish before. Damn fine stuff. But still corn meal rolled fried cat fish with good hushpuppies is still at the top of my list, followed by beer batter fried halibut. Guess I go for the bottom feeders.
 
You know I've been up here with these Yankees too long. I haven't seen a real deal hushpuppie in *way* too long. And I regularly go through Chicken Fried Steak withdrawl. Even good Mexican food is hard to come by up my way.

Here, I've had to become used to that uniquely Indiana thing -- fried dough. They fry what looks like biscuit dough and serve it with applesauce. It's a staple on buffets along with slaw, etc. They swear its from further south but I never saw it until I moved up here. Not that it's not good -- but I miss hushpuppies, too!
 
You've got to be kiddin me.

I leave the States for a short time and Southern cuisine declines. What in tarnation am I gonna do?

Keep up the good fight. Eat hushpuppies with FRIED catfish
 
This particular thread set me to working in the kitchen last night, it made me so hungry for "old food." By that I mean the wonderful things we "used to" eat and don't get around to much any more.

So last night I had sweet & sour green beans, a BLT sandwich (since I had to get bacon for the green beans anyway) and creamed new potatoes and peas.

Oh, GLORY! It was good. Sooooo very good. Seems these days we've forgotten all about using vinegar as an ingredient.
 
Ahem. I now sing a hymn of faaahn eatin':

Black-eyed peas, mashed pataters,
swimming in cream gravy,
poke salad, chicken fried steak,
oh good heavens, they're tasty!

Buttermilk biscuits, drippin' in butter
to sop up all the pot liquor,
Y'all know that's heaven on a plate,
Though the uninitiated may snicker!
 
Awwwhhh~!

(said in Jerry Clower's raspy harmonic voice)

Thanks for playin' Ms. Cornelius.

:-)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?