Thursday, June 07, 2007

 

PART 2: How summer-is-comin' American is this?!? Free rootbeer floats from 8 p.m. to midnight (Central) tonight at Sonic Drive-Ins!

Ha! What fun!

It's exactly 2 miles from my house to the nearest Sonic, which is about how far it was from the place where I grew up to "town," the difference bein' back then it was 2 miles of cows in pastures and maybe five seven house, on both sides of the two-lane state highway, and now, here, it's 2 miles of suburb, but still a quick trip.

I pulled in at 8:43 p.m. and there was, in fact, a traffic jam. I came in the "back way" to this particular Sonic, meaning from a neighborhorhood street; the traffic jam was along the major thoroughfare that makes up part of the crossroads there (this is at Kelly and Second Street, for y'all who know the area).

Once I got onto the property, it took just 2 minutes for a space to open up.

I pulled in and ordered "one rootbeer float."

"Just one?" the gal said, since families were pullin' in in SUVs and extended-cab pickups and cans and such loaded with kids.

"One'll do," I said.

Ten minutes later, out it came, toted by a red-faced, worn-out sweat-drippin' young thing. I tipped her four bits from the door pocket and should've been kinder.

Inside the place, the guys were high-fivin' and having a grand time -- I mean, they were ALL workin' their hind ends off, inside and out, but the dudes seemed to be havin' more fun.

The carhops, every one that I saw, all had looks on their faces that said, "WHAT THE HELL WERE THEY THINKING???!!!???"

And they all still got about 2 hours to go.

What a hoot. Whoever thought of this at Sonic is a gentleman (or lady) and a scholar, and a genius.

An Okie, I'll bet.

--ER

Comments:
Thanks for the reminder! I need to get down to the Sonic here in town before midnight!
Oh, and my second job was at the Sonic down the road from your house. I can feel for those poor carhops tonight!

Crystal
 
You know, why can't we have something like that around here? Carhops and all. I miss the old A&W we had where I grew up as a kid. We would pull up in our old Chevy wagon - bigger than a houseboat - and out our food would come, brought by a roller-skater dressed in orange and brown. Can't believe I'm nostalgic about that kind of stuff, but there you are.

On another, completely unrelated note, I have a question for you, but it is delicate, and I have no desire to offend your sensibilities. You rarely mention your work on your blog, and I have always interpreted that as a desire to keep your professional and blog life separate. I would like to honor that, but I do have a question as it relates to my recent post on David Broder upon which you commented. Does the paper for which you work carry distributed columnists? As an editor, how do you make decisions about who to carry? Economic? Ideological? Diversity?

Feel free to answer over at my place should you choose to do so.
 
Dude, I am honor-bound to keep 'em separate -- to maintain the veil of professional detachment. This blog is the ONLY place I can come close to expressing a real opinion, and that anonymously.
 
Then I apologize, with all sincerity and truthfulness, for attempting to intrude upon this space. Seriously. Forget the question was ever asked.

How was the float, by the way?
 
Gee, all we get here is the SONIC COMMERCIALS!

:::sniff:::
 
The float was tasty but melty, which didn't surprise me. :-)

Hey, Frenzied: Sonic is known for advertising in markets for several years before it enters 'em. Sneaky.

Here, we get Boston Market commercials -- yet neither I nor Dr. ER have ever seen a Boston Market in the wild.
 
Yeah, we thought about going for a free float at about 10:00 last night when we got home. Ended up at Braums instead. Have you noticed that even Braums is going to mucho air soft serve on their floats, shakes, etc. bummer. Lines at SONIC were long and convoluted.
As per you description, it does seem as though even when the big dogs are generous it is the $5.75 per hour people who have to pay a price for it. Although when I had five at home, years ago, I would have jumped at free floats for all of them. But then I would have had to hose out the bus afterwards.
 
I completely forgot about this. Urgh. But my favourite Sonic treat is the pineapple milk shake. Yummmm.

For those without Sonics, Baskin Robbins does something similar, where they give away ice cream cones once a year. Where I useta live, the lines for that were always quite long, and waiting in them was just as fun as getting free ice cream.
 
DrLobo, about three or four times a year, I get a hankering for a chocolate Coke float from Braum's -- and I usually have to explain to the young'un behind the counter exactly what I mean: Scoop of chocolate, in a large cup filled with Coke. How hard is that?? Don't they teach "floats 101" at Braum's?
 
I totally slurped one of those free bad boys down last night. It was heaven. Especially because my friend retrieved them and braved the traffic jam while I enjoyed some TiVo. Summer!
 
Der, of COURSE it was an Okie! The home office is right down there in Bricktown and that's where all the Sonic goodness brilliance comes from. You know that though.

In my new digs, I've got a restaurant in my back pocket that makes its own ice cream. I had cinnamon the other night and thought I was in heaven. Hm. Might get another taste before I walk home and get ready to drive back to OKC for the weekend.

And I have THREE Sonics here in a town with a population between 25,000 and 26,000. Too bad I don' like root beer.
 
Howdy, Blythe!
 
Oh, heck!!! I missed it.

With five us,free rootbeer floats would have been a substantial savings. Dang it, dang it, dang it.

Standard order is Sonic Cheeseburger with pickles, mayo, mustard; onion rings (out of this world batter); and a large cherry coke. And when I'm being true to myself, a chocolate malt for dessert on the drive home.

We didn't have Sonic in Illinois. It is definitely one of the best things about moving to Georgia. Besides the weather, the scenery, the cost of housing...

I'll be watching for this event next year. Thanks for the tip!

(I like their coneys, but since I grew up outside of Cincinnati and the only good chili is Skyline chili for someone like me, the coney just doesn't make the favorites list.)
 
We used to have wild Boston Markets here, but they didn't do well at all. Now the only place I see their logo is in the freezer case at the grocery store.

Far as I can tell, you ain't missin' much.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?