Tuesday, June 05, 2007

 

On a lighter note

My first birthday after Bird went away to college, she got me the most meaningful present up to that time: a Zippo lighter!

I love Zippos. Daddy ER and all his brothers used 'em. They're fun. And the name is cool.

But I lost it! It broke my ol' redneck heart. Bird got me another one for another birthday or Christmas. It's even orange, a la Oklahoma State University. But I never forgave myself for losing the first one. I am such a sentimental sap sometimes.

Yesterday, while loading up junk in the garage to haul off to the dump, as I was hoisting my old recliner onto the truck, out tumbled the lighter! It was dented, but looked to be in usable shape. Later, though, I noticed that the bottom of the case had been punctured. If I refilled it with fluid, it would leak.

Rattling around in my head was a vague recollection of some kind of no-questions-asked Zippo guarantee. I googled Zippo. (Oh, is that a cool sentence or what?) And yep, there is the World Famous Zippo Guarantee, with instructions on what to do.Very cool.

More cool Zippo ads here.

--ER

Comments:
I googled Zippo

Sounds like a cool name for a rock band. Or the first line of a haiku?

I googled Zippo
No computer bugaboos
Light for my lighter
 
Ain't that a great picture though?

I've got my Dad's old Zippo that's worn down to the brass of the case. Two more from Nam, one I gave him and one I carried myself. They have my old unit insignia and dates and such engraved on them.

Say Dude, headed out the door for a while. Be on you blog when I encounter a machine. Watch out for the crazies and stay off the ridge line.
 
What compares to a Zippo? It was the best thing about smoking. It was part of what made quitting tough for so many years. But the 17th will be three years without for me. But what about the Zippo? That's why I smoke crack.
 
Have fun, DrLobojo. Bring back a green buffalo head in yer trunk, or something equally as cool and disturbing.

I still smoke ceegars, so my Bird's gift was both of form and function.

Good for you MA. I've forgotten how many years without a dip of Copenhagan I've gone. Not that mamy. Four or five or six. I just forget. Early-onset CRS, I reckon.
 
Love that Zippo photo! Yeah, I have the same kind of lighter memories from my parents' smoking. I've never once had the desire to smoke, not ever ever.

I remember your Copenhagen days and am glad they are behind you, for sure. Congratulations! I can't tell you exactly how long, but it has been since sometime in 2002 as I recall. We've all got our vices -- mine seems to be office cleaning. Something I'm discovering has not been done at my new location since 1993, by the dates of the files at the bottom of the piles. You should see the dust buffalo!
 
Ha! I have herds of dust bison in this house!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?