Sunday, June 17, 2007

 

'It smells of boy in here'*

GRRRRRRRR! Friday night, I came home from work to find a veritable Spirograph drawing of red-mud bicycle tire patterns on my driveway.

The Flanders** kid next door apparently had ridden his bike around and around around and through and through and through a mudpuddle against the driveway, leaving the mess. GRRRRRRRR!

Now the little s---t is with some friends popping firecrackers under a pan or bucket or something. They're in their own back yard but they're spooking Bailey and Riker, who are barking and carrying on while I'm trying to work.

Boys should be raised on farms, away from towns, so they can be as muddy and loud and boyish as they want to be! Like I was. GRRRRRR!

It's official now. I am an old fart.

--ER

* For source of quote: See ER's first use of it, in pre-Ice-T days.

** Not his real name. So-named because my neighbors are home-schoolers the mama of whom was praying for a Lexus when we first moved in here.

Comments:
For a time in my life, I was a step-mommy to an 8-year-old boy. One of the first soon-to-be family events I went to was a Cub Scout meeting. His father and I were there, as were aunt and uncle and grandparents. I sat next to my future mother-in-law and said "Ew. What's that smell."
She didn't even bat an eyelash when she responded. "Boy."
 
Ah, it is indeed a horrid realization that we have become adults. I have to check my own reactions on occasion and remember that my own kids are just that - kids - and are no different from my own. I also have to smile and remember how I said, as do all children, that I for one would never forget what it was like to be a child, because, of course, we all do.

There is nothing wrong with asking the children to be more respectful while still mourning your own adulthood and the gulf that exists between them and you. Just remember St. Paul and relax.

You old fart.
 
LOL.

I just realized that I may very well be taking out my latent sadness at havign an empty next on this Father's Day by being angry at boys for -- being boys.

Fathers, y'all are blessed. I am blessed to be a stepdad, for sure. But my little Bird was only in my nest, sniff, for a relatively brief time. Seven years, I guess. And now she's all growed up and engaged to her own hairy-legged boy. Sniff.
 
LOL. Trixie! Click through the link to ER's first use of that boy quote, and see what you left as a comment!

We are consistent, if nothin' else!
 
hey, mister? can we have our ball back?

KEvron
 
Have you chased any off the lawn yet with a broom in your hand, yelling "Get off the lawn, y'darn kids!"?

I don't think you're truly an old fart until that happens, so there may be hope.
 
Gimme a few more years and some more creaky bones!
 
Well, see, it really made quite the impression on me!
 
It was them damn 90cc type motor bike things on my lawn (grass actually, lawn is too formal a description of the community of plants living there).
I just take the colt 44 revolver out of my belt behind my back and twirl it around my finger "B" movie cowboy style. Ain't had to shoot it off yet(never keep it loaded anyway).
Of course thing's calmed down now that a cop lives two doors down and parks his prowler out front. I've only seen him have to twirl his Glock once, and he does keep his loaded.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?