Thursday, May 03, 2007

 

What an interesting dream

By The Erudite Redneck

... I dream ...

I'm in a church. It seems like the one I grew up in but I'm not sure. I'm in the bathroom. I hear voices on the other side of the wall. There's a door. I walk through to find a half-dozen adults fretting over 10 or a dozen pieces of art work done by a tween youth group.

The drawings are very colorful, done in chalk on white butcher paper. Every drawing is a side view of a church building with wide, clear windows that let you see inside.

The adults are upset because they are all so similar, basically of the same thing. "We didn't tell them what to draw," one says, which means that the kids all came to an agreement to draw these similar images.

But the images are not the same. Each is wildly psychodelic in its own way -- and that upsets the adults. "Those colors!" a woman gasps.

They are especially agitated over two drawings in particular.

One drawing shows fire inside the church, flames jumping out from a pew here, a pew there, from the pulpit, the choir loft, visible through the windows.

A man complains that the fire is devilish. He worries that there is a demonic influence among the youth.

I say: "Maybe the fire is meant to represent purification. Or, maybe it's the power of the Holy Spirit, you know, like the tongues of fire on the lips of the apostles at Pentecost." My views are dismissed. Nope. It's of the devil.

The other especially offensive drawing, the adults say, has -- horrors! -- cans of beer at the end of each pew.

"Where?" I ask, and I lean in for a closer look -- and this is weird in itself because I've never, in a dream, been able to see this kind of detail when I try to look for it -- and lo, and behold, I do see little rectangular silver and blue and red smudges.

"It's beer! We need to have an intervention!" the adults say, and they are so very loud and upset it wakes me up.

I lay there thinking about the dream, and after about 10 or 15 minutes it dawns on me:

Those weren't cans of beer in that drawing. They were cans of Red Bull, the energy drink.

And I laugh at the idea that I have deamed up a piece of art work by a kid from my own subconscious who is trying to let the adults know that the services are so boring they should hand out Red Bull to help people stay awake!

And I ponder the meaning of fire in the other drawing, and wonder what other secret messages were hidden in the other drawings that I didn't notice ...

--ER

Comments:
I think the fire represents the kid's (you) burning to ashes your old beliefs. It doesn't completely wipe them out, because the ashes are still there for "the Phoenix to rise from the ashes" in new form. The adults in your dream are the ones that taught you your old beliefs, and of course are saying "it's the devil" to any new view (actually "ancient wisdom") of these things. You know I have first hand experience with this, don't you? You are "energizing," adding some zip, to your old beliefs with the drinks.
 
Ya know ER, it sounds to me like sub concious thoughts making themselves aware from a post a few days ago. http://eruditeredneck.blogspot.com/2007/04/mr-dr-er-or-rev-er.html
 
Do you think my interpretation fits? It will sort of feel right, if it is pretty accurate. I think most dreams represent what's going on inside of us. It's just a way of expressing it, and kind of tells you where you are. Your thoughts and feelings in the dream is important, too. I'm assuming that, in your dream, you thoughts were not agreeing with what the older people were saying. If you had agreed with them, then the dream would have had a different meaning.
 
Oh, Jim, these kinds of thoughts are never far from my conscious mind, which is probably why it's so rare that they come out in my dreams: I pretty much let it all hang out when I'm awake! :-)
 
Little Big Sister:

I'm thinking on it. ... I think the dream says more about how I perceive others than what's going on within myself, but I don't know. I've been out of step with Baptist thought, for sure, since the fundamentalists started taking over in 1979-1980, when I was 15-16.

I like the energizing possibly represented by the energy drink. I think the different perceptions of the fire, betweejn me in the dream and the adults in the dream, represent my contention that most people wouldn't recognize the power of God if it fell out of the sky any more than they would recognize Mr. Jesus Christ if he walked up and asked them for a piece of bread (courtesy title and last name provided for used-to-be regular commenter Mark's sake).
 
About when the older people said "we didn't tell them what to draw." To me that means they think they (the kids) messed up, and that they taught us, but they didn't tell us how to express (paint) it. They were upset because we (you) are acting it out in you own way, with your own ideas. They think they should have told us how to "act it out" and do it their way.
 
A. You are the older people now.
B. Red Bull, you find the help you're getting in the pew insiped and need something to stimulate you to move on.
C. Burning pews=burning bridges.
D. What did you say you had to eat last night?
E. Was the cat breathing in your face as you slept?
F. Life is but a dream, but sometimes a dream is just a dream.
 
Dr. Lobojo, I like your comments. I tried to leave a comment the other day, when you said you felt so Main Stream, to tell you that according to my way of thinking, you ARE Main Stream. Ask my brother, the ER, himself. He knows maybe a little bit about the way I think, and he will verify that. And you are very right. I am the older people now.
 
Actually, I'd say that Little Big Sister and Drlobo are equally not mainstream, just in different triburaties.
 
My initial feeling, and not to overanalyze it, was how it shows the futility of human judgments. You know, the kids were trying to doing something good, when the adults were convinced they were doing something bad and were ready to choke it off. And unknowingly, and with good intentions, they were damaging the spiritual lives of these kids. And that so ties into the religious environment you were raised in, and to repeated Biblical warnings about making such judgments.
 
Just a point, the flow of the tributaries in Oklahoma often flow about 6 feet under the sand's surface.
LBS, I'm just trying to get the boy to realize that the comfortable groove that he thinks he's in right now is a rut that deepens as the road goes on. Sooner of later he is in danger of high centering and not being able to go on or back. Time for the detour is soon.
 
Well, if quitting a good job and moving to another state to do God know what ain't a goldarn detour, I don't know what is.

OTOH, I do know that a comfortable routine and a dangerous rut are two sides of the same coin.

And, BTW, yer semiarid western Okieness is showing: I never even HEARD of an underground river or stream until I moved out here. My patrt of the state is just shy of subtropical.

Why, I'll bet that at least seven of Oklahoma's 11 ecosystems fall between Paw Paw and Loveland!
 
When I see yor butt in that pickup truck that is loaded up with your books, the NASCAR tire, horse shoe cross, and ice-t and the pups, then I will actually believe yur moving to Colorado.

Speaking of rivers you will love the Platts in Col.. They run with water then dry up and then a little further on run with water and then dry up etc. and so forth.
 
Ooooh, Michiner spends an interminable amount of time on the geologic history of the Platte ...
 
It is the stage to the play.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?