Wednesday, May 23, 2007

 

Help me mix a drink!

A long time ago, I bought a small can of kraut juice -- not kraut, just the juice -- mainly to make Bird go EWWWWW!

That tells you how long that can of kraut juice has been sittin' in my icebox! It is, in fact, the very brand in the picture.

After the amusement of making Bird go EWWWWW wore off, I started thinking: "What kind of cocktail might be made using kraut juice?!?

Now, I like kraut, and I like extra juice, so there is nothing necessarily in this idea to make me go EWWWW, but if you need to, go right ahead.

But, what? What would make a good drink using the stuff?

I'm thinking something like a bullshot -- vodka, beef bouillon, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco -- which I prefer hot, but maybe y'all have better imaginations than me. Here's one recipe -- but I think kraut juice just needs to be served hot!

So, cough it up. If you had to make a cocktail with kraut juice, what else would you put in it? Clamato? V8? What? :-)

--ER

Comments:
I have found that Snappy Tom with added Lousianna Hot Sauce and a teaspoon of sugar will make anything palitable. Vodka would be the liquer in the mix. Kerosine work too.
 
Ewwww..

As a former bartender, I would advise you to just throw it out.


Crystal
 
Crystal! Where *is* your imagination??

I'm thinking a drink involving a little bacon grease and a single pinto bean (inside joke).
 
As a former bartender, I'd recommend a splash of grenadine, a half shot of Baileys, a half shot of rum and top wth the kraut juice. I disagree that it would need to be served warm. I think it could be shaken or even blended. Hey, even salt the rim.
 
Try hot kraut tea with cream.
 
RUM and kraut. Now that might make me barf.
 
Until you try it, ER, you won't know. Give it a shot. Or two. :-)
 
I suppose you could mix it with bean juice and George Dickel. You could float the bacon grease on top and flame it. Your "reward" for finishing it would be the bean at the bottom of the glass. And instead of pretzels or peanuts on the bar, you could have little cornbread squares. :)

Crystal
 
Ya kbnow, a spalsh of Tabasco in there and that doedn't sound too horrible. I mean, I drink oyster shooters at Pearl's. (raw oyster, horseradish, salt, pepper, vodka, cocktail sauce).
 
I was telling Dr. ER about a particulariy nasty dirty martini I concocted tonight (juice from the olive jar, blue cheese-stuff giant olives, sprinkle of coars ground bacl pepper), and she said, "Why don't you put the kraut juice in that?"

Your-eek-a! I b'lieve she's onto something!

"With a dead-fish-in-a-can garnish!" (Dead-fish-in-a-can bein' an ER family eword for any, um, well, dead fish in a can, such as sardines and smoked herring and such).

May be.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?