Friday, May 25, 2007

 

ER's book proposal lives!

It's been a year since I had any conversation with the acquisitions editor at Big Regional Publisher about my manuscript, Catchy Title -- Obligatory Colon -- Contextual Subtitle.

And I've not touched the manuscriot in a year, even though the editor was very eoncouraging and gave me a pretty specific task to "broaden the scope" of my work.

"Broaden the scope" scared me to death. I spent a year researching this thing and a year writing it -- and to broaden the scope seemed overwhelming.

Then Dr. ER's broken hip, and concentrating on her, demanded my attention. Then Mama ER got sick. Then Mama ER died, and it made me not want to do anything but sleep and drink -- and go to work like a zombie, which is OK since I can pretty much do my job with half my brain and none of my spirit, if need be. Then Dr. ER took the job in Boulder and freaking out over that and the impending move has taken most of my nonwork attention.

But this morning, I got up all chirpy and skippy because Dr. ER is coming for the long weekend -- and I was so dang inspired I just got on the phone, and with a little fear and trepidation, called my editor -- yes, I am being overly optimistic in declaring this person "my" editor -- and I spilled my guts. Told of all the Real Life obstacles that have been thrown my way the past year.

We also talked about just how I might "broaden the scope" -- and it's something I can do in one uninterrupted weekend because I have most of the data I'll need in books and microfilm rolls in my home office and the context I need in my head.

In short, rewrite the introductory chapter, and add some material to the conclusion, and cut some of the present manuscript to make room for the addition -- NOT, thank God, rewrite every chapter.

So, ER's book proposal lives! Woo hoo!

What a saga.

I was so dang inspired that I got back on the phone and talked to someone at Regional History Journal about submitting an article I have in the can.

Dr. ER ribs me because in my home office I have plastered the walls with every award I've ever received for writing, going back to college. The fact is I am a pessimist and I think lowly of myself and my abilities out of habit.

I need encouragement, but I'm not embraased to admit it because I have managed to come a pretty good ways in life with others' help.

So, dudes and dudettes, I shamelessly ask: Wish me well! :-)

--ER

Comments:
Of course! None of us in this sort of work makes it without great encouragement from others. That's why our peers before us created such things as awards -- it's the oxygen we need to make it through such highly personal work, to keep us going!

And isn't it wonderful to discover that the "Great Editorial Obstacles" really amount to a weekend's rewrite? Why do we so readily make these obstacles so large in our own minds?

I look forward to saying "I knew ER when..."
 
You do such good work as a writer, sometimes it's hard to think of you as someone who needs encouragement. But, if that's what you need, consider yourself encouraged! :)

Just a weekend of rewrite? Put down the kraut juice and get after it. We'll be waiting for progress reports. :)

Crystal
 
So good to hear that you're going to be finishing the book! How exciting!
 
These people on your blog are so c..o..r..r..e..c..t...
Break a leg dude!
 
You go. You write. You publish. We all say Yay!

And we buy the book......Have a great weekend.
 
Thanks, y'all. ... Havin' the doc here for the weekend is givin' me a charge. ... After we go through the house today making a list of things that need to be fixed, maybe not so much! :-) Long list.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?