Sunday, May 06, 2007

 

Busy alley

I've lived my entire life in Tornado Alley, except for four months, 20 years ago, in Washington, D.C. Tornados are just part of life. I've never seen one, although I've see many tornado fetuses, cloud rotation, wall clouds and the like.

But this photo -- by The Associated Press, which retains all rights thereto -- has managed to focus my attention on the destruction in a way that nothing else has lately. Not the emptiness left behind in Moore, Okla., after May 3, 1999, not the grainy photos and video from Wichita Falls, Texas, on April 10, 1979, not the now-ubiquitous tornado videos on the Weather Channel.

It's the grain elevator that gets me, standing as a silent sentinel to the community of Greensburg, Kan. The town was all but wiped out. It wasn't the first, and it won;'t be the last, but this one hits me in the imagination.

With a population of about 1,500, Greensburg was about the size of my hometown in eastern Oklahoma when I left it back in the day. And the spare layout of Greensburg reminds me of the little towns I fell in love with on the northwest Texas plains when I lived there.

It's not much bigger than the kind of town I know my good friend Ronholio comes from in southwest Oklahoma: He said once that it was so small you could climb the water town and pee from one city limits to the other.

Sweetwater, Okla., maybe the size of Greensburg but probably not, got whacked last night. Took out the high school and some houses. Tiny Sharon, Okla., population 120 or so, got whacked a little, too.

Those of us who live in these parts eventually make a kind of peace with tornados. We have to, or we couldn't live here. Unlike a hurricane, you don't know for sure where, or when, they'll hit.

Still, even with all the technology, the finger of God can dip down from the sky before you notice it was getting cloudy -- unless you're "weather wise" as we say, but even sometimes when you're paying attention they can sneak up on you. I've always thought it was like living in a neighborhood where there's a sniper.

Dr. ER lived through an F-4 tornado, in 1979, and her house was damaged, but I've been fortunate. Damage from straight-line winds is commonplace here, but except for losing the end of a big hay barn at home when I was little, I've never personally dealt with tornado damage (he said, knocking on wood).

Mama ER was kind enough to tell me back then, when I was ascairt, that it wasn't a tornado that took out the end of the hay barn; it was just the wind off the tail of the tornado as it skipped over the place.

I was in my 20s before I realized that the wind off the tail of a tornado IS THE TAIL OF THE TORNADO. What a kidder Mama ER was. What a sweetie, actually, telling me the truth, but in a way to keep me from gettin' ascairter.

Not ascairt today. More worried about Bird and YankeeBeau bein' on a Big Scary Boat for the next week, in the Gulf of Mexico! Just very, very aware of the weather. Resigned, as much as is possible, to the possibility of loss of life and property. Specifically, what I'm thinking about is how to protect the critters and this office and all my books, if it gets bad. I've got some candles out, and a flashlight. Ice-T will just have to deal with it, if I need to bring Riker and Bailey inside.

Dr. ER said to close the office door. The day "her" tornado hit, she had closed the door to her bedroom, which, she says, must have been why when the storm was over, the outside wall to her bedroom was gone, but her Easter dress was still lying there on her bed, unruffled, where she'd left it.

--ER

Comments:
"I've always thought it was like living in a neighborhood where there's a sniper."

Ha! Exactly!

When I was little the wilder storms scared me; now I just have this twisted fascination and respect for them. You do have to make a peace with them if you're going to live on their turf. I wish all it took was closing a door to keep us safe from them...

Crystal
 
I couldn't help but notice that the grass was left in Sweetwater Kansas. In that May '99 tornado in OKC it took up the grass by its roots in large swaths. I flew out of Will Roger Airport 3 days later. The trail of the tornado was a mile wide brown smear across the city. Liek the finger of God had traced an "S" shape through the buildings, trees, and homes.
Taking up everything including the grass was the reason Fujita decide to redo his scale. F-5 was not accurate enough for that one. Thus we have a new scale now.
 
The Enhanced Fujita Scale, now called the EF scale is show here:
http://www.spc.noaa.gov/faq/tornado/ef-scale.html
 
Huh. You've never seen a tornado in person? That really surprises me, no kidding. Maybe because I've seen so very many heading right at me all through my life.

I lived on the southwest corner of my hometown, a few houses from the siren. I've heard the siren so many times while watching a tornado heading toward my house, only to veer away a block away. Terrifying when you're a kid out riding your bike with your brother, only to see sheer panic on his face as he whipped his bike around and tried to get to the house before being blown away.

We had the routine down (for the time). Open the southwest windows of the house a might to "equalize the pressure" as the twister sucked the air out of the house. Grab the mattress off brother's bed, head for the tub. Kids went in the tub, mattress on top, parents in "duck and cover" position next to the tub. As soon as the train sound passed by, go jump in the car and follow the tornado out of the state.

Parents told me my first tornado came looking for me when I was about two weeks old. They tossed me in a laundry basket and headed for the cellar.

I was here for the May 3, 1999, and several smaller ones since then. The stupidest one was about a year later, heading across Broadway extension at Britton Road, while the whole office gang stood at the window watching. Someone finally realized it was twisting the traffic signs across the street from us and realized we were standing in front of a glass wall. The security guard at the time, who was a friend of mine from church, came up to check things out, having expected everyone to be in the basement as ordered. He saw me and told me to get the hell downstairs, NOW. Heee hee. I obeyed.
 
I was a mere two hours from Greensburg over the weekend in No Man's Land for the greatest rodeo in the Sooner (Cowboy) State. Our normal route from Texas County, Okla., to our home in northwest Missouri is U.S. Highway 54 through Greensburg, but the plans were changed for obvious reasons.

I've been through that community hundreds of times in my travels. I was educated just 30 miles east for a couple of years. It's troubling to me.

Last night as we left the rodeo arena, we ventured the northern path through Dodge City and U.S. Highway 50, which saw increased traffic because of the mess on 54. That and the major thoroughfare was closed.

Along that path, the town of Macksville, Kan., was under water. Hundreds of thousands of acres of cropland through central and eastern Kansas are under water.

Anyway, an update from a traveler, who left the Oklahoma Panhandle exactly 24 hours ago, spent the night along the way and just returned home.
 
24 aerials photos of Greensburg's damage.

http://www.kansas.com/static/slides/050507tornadoaerials/
 
This was not the finger of God. It was a fist and feet. Blunt force trauma.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?