Monday, March 26, 2007

 

(Farther) Into the West

26 March, 1875
Caddo, I.T.

Hard to believe this, but the missus heads out in about a week. I'm putting her on a stagecoach to Denver City. I'll follow with our worldly possessions loaded onto a Prairie Schooner, going slow, herding our few head of livestock.

Denver City, they say, is coming along after seven years, and this new settlement of Boulder, to the northwest of there, has lots of promise -- of gold!

The whole country up there must be golden! Gen. Custer's trip through the Black Hills last year proved that. I read about it in the Oklahoma Star. The Army will get the Indians under control, like the civilized tribes here in Indian Territory. Gen. Custer will see to that.

--ER

Comments:
I hope you enjoy Colorado. I love it here, myself, but it is my home.
Denver's kind of big, though, so make sure you travel away from that city whenever you get a chance.
 
Suburbs are good. Repeat.
 
Thanky, Revrund.

Ma'am, what is this "suburb" you speak of? There is nonesuch here in Indian Territory. Unless'n you mean like the little village that's grown up out by Fort Sill since the Army put that post in five or six years ago.
 
They have good therapist in Denver. You may need one.
 
Well, I have heard about these Manitou Springs, which are supposed to have healing powers.
 
They do. They got me through serving as a chaperone on a high school ski trip about 10 years ago.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?