Saturday, March 31, 2007

 

'And then depression set in'

Dr. ER is somewhere here!

Sigh. I fed Dr. ER a famous ER Pan-Fried Ribeye and a baked tater last night, with the store-bought "gourmet" apple pie she likes for dessert -- while we watched the weather, and the hardest and longest-lasting rain either of us had ever seen.

I had to bring the dogs in, so I could open a front side gate to the backyard, to let the water flow out! It was 6 inches deep in the back yard, and was coming into the garage. I used two of the four sand tubes I still had in the back of my truck from snowy and icy weather to put in front of the side door to the garage to keep the water out.

Bird and YankeeBeau were here yesterday afternoon and late evening -- they went to see Larry the Cable Guy in between -- and are here still, which is nice. They brought Lizzie and Gracie, my new gramsters (grand-hamsters!) *and* the grand-dogs, Fenway and Apollo, the Boston terriers.

The ER household abounds with domestic livestock today: Riker, my stepdog; Bailey, the semisweet, semiretarded weinie dog who needs a short yellow doghouse; Fenway, the younger stepgrand-dog; Apollo, the older and more mature stepgrand-dog; Lizzie and Gracie, the gramsters; Jambalaya and Etouffe, the hermit crabs -- and Ice-T, my cat (he *is* daddy's boy), who is NOT AMUSED.

Well. We are fixing to dye Easter eggs. We are all 5-year-olds around here. I always fix up one Redneck Easter Egg that says: "He has done rose!" And one of us still usually makes a Dale Earnhardt (Sr.) memorial egg.

And Bird is going to make deviled eggs, too, which are about my second-favorite thing to do with eggs, behind scrambling 'em and ladling white gravy on 'em, with salt and pepper.

Not a bad day, I guess, considering that my wife has left me!

--ER

(One Vintage Early '80s ER Point for whoever names the movie that produced the quote in the headline.)

Comments:
Winger(Bill Murray) in "Stripes"

slahmaslaykum

holio
 
Ronholio wins a point.

But what the heck is slahmaslaykum?

And, now Bird and YankeeBeau and the gramsters and Fenway and Apollo are gone.

I jumped the gun earlier.

Now, depression has really set in.

(Dr. calls to report entering Colorado, and that the last town west in Kansas on I-70 is Kanorado! Who knew?)
 
Dr. ER arrived safely.
 
Uh ... Teditor knew. Hey, I worked on more than one agriculture sprinkler system around Kanorado.

Hell, that was 20 years ago.

Of course, south of Kanorado is Weskan. Get it? Wes(tern)Kan(sas).

Original folks, my ancestors.

It's like the town from which I graduated high school: WaKeeney. Named after Warren and Keeney. Why not name the damn place Warren OR Keeney. Nope. Gotta recognize 'em both.

Of course, the high school is Trego Community High School, in Trego County's seat. It's not in Trego Center, which is in southern Trego County.

I'm confused, and I lived there. Of course, my hometown is Leoti, which is in far western Kansas, too. It's east of Weskan, and south a bit. Leoti is the county seat of Wichita County.

Wichita, by the way, is in Sedgwick County, not far from the town of Sedgwick but a long ways from Wichita County. Johnson is the Stanton County seat in southwest Kansas, and Johnson County is in the Kansas City metro area.

Now you're lost, ain't ya?
 
You graduated from Trego HS? Was their fight song "One, Two, Trego"?
Seriously, ER, good luck baching it for a while, on the job-and-house hunt, etc. Remember that other line from Stripes, "Lighten up, Francis." I'm not sure what that has to do with anything, but Stripes is a favorite here in the Poplar Grove parsonage, especially since we got the Deluxe DVD edition - extra scenes, etc. BTW, when we sat and watched it for the first time, I forgot all the gratuitous naked boobies in it. It was so bad, I had to watch it again and again just to jog my memory . . .
 
Re, "Lighten up, Francis."

Perfect! And perfectly timed. I actually laughed out loud. I do need to lighten up. It starts now. ... he typed, with hope, not entirely convinced, but willing to give it a try.

Oh, Teditor, I learned the hard way that Wichita was in Sedgwick, not Wichita County, by writing a story that said Wichita *was* in Wichita County, for the paper in Wichita Falls, in Texas, which *is* in Wichita County. Now stop. My head hurts. :-)
 
And don't forget that great Pat Metheny/Lyle Mayes album, As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls.
 
"slahmaslaykum"

a.k.a.: Salam Alai Kum or Assalam Allahi Cum etc. in various transliterations and dialects.

"May the Peace of Allah Be Upon You"

In the other Semetic language and from the other people of the book: Shalom. :)
 
"Wullallbedaggum" -- redneck expression of mild surprise. Ronholio actually called me yesterday to spalin it, but I didn't get what he was talkin' about.

Re, "As Falls Wichita ..." -- There is only one other pop reference to Wichita Falls that we know of: In the Rock Hudson-Doris Day flick, "Pillow Talk," which we LOVE< as Rex Stetson is carrying Miss Day out of the apartment building onto the street, a woman, I looks on and exclaims: "They'll never believe this in Wichita Falls!"

Hoot.

Off to church, with Geoffrey's thoughtful Palm Sunday blog on my mind ... Check it out:

http://whatsleftinthechurch.blogspot.com/
2007/04/some-thoughts-for-palm-sunday-in-re.html
 
Hey, E.R. The Honey and I did the long-distance marriage thing for a three month stint a few years ago. It was really tough, especially for him because he was responsible for two little kids for about 6 weeks of that time.

I want to wish you well as you go through this transition. Change like that is hard even for people who are easy going about it, but if you're change-adverse? Wow.
 
Thanks, D!

LOL. Callin' me "change-averse" is about like callin' a cow bovine. An apt comparison, actually, for I am cowlike in my behaviors. (See any cowtrail in any pasture.)
 
Yeah, and Copenhagen was your cud. Tehehehe.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?