Tuesday, October 17, 2006

 

'Susceptible to heretical misconstrual'

First, some housekeeping:

I bought boo-boos (family word for undies, nothing to do with "accidents") at a truckstop because ... they were there. I had miscounted my need in my typical last-second flurry of packing.

At Drlobojo's suggestion, I walked the 1 mile-plus to the Museum of Art on the Iowa campus ("plus" because first rattle out of the chute this morning, I took off in the wrong direction for about three blocks before I realized my not-yet-enough coffee mistake), and, of course, it's closed on Tuesdays! I shall return. Tomorrow.


Now, today.

Went first to one of the coffee shops that are everywhere here. Ahh, the caffeine-driven student life! Topped off my tank with a brewed hazelnut and a cinnamon roll as big as a baby moon hubcap, and took off -- in the wrong direction!

Realized my mistake and found the Old Capitol, which I enjoyed. Turns out that if I think of Iowa as a once-frontier state, and not as a Yankee state, it's pretty dang interesting! Especially if you throw in the Ioways, the Sioux and the Blackhawk War and "Blackhawk Purchase" and such. Very cool.

Then, to the closed University of Iowa Museum of Art. Then to the University of Iowa's little-bitty student union for a salad lunch (making up for recent gastrointestinal sins) and a bottle of water.

The union, under renovation, isn't that small, of course, but a running bragging right of Oklahoma State is that its Student Union is supposed to be the biggest one in the country. I'm not sure about that, but it is bigger than the one here, and you could stack a lot of hay in it.

Then, off to get a feel for the campus and downtown area. I think I have it in hand now. Then, to the famed Prairie Lights bookstore, where I overheard this interesting story:

A man behind a counter on the phone was telling a friend, incredulously, how in a new-book catalog he had read of this book about the demise of the funerary violin in post-Reformation Europe.

Turns out that the man, himself, is something of a violin afficionado and musicologist, and he had never heard of such. He said he thinks, "This is bullshit." So he makes some calls and, lo and behold, he gets quoted in the New York Times, then in The Guardian, and then the story goes on National Public Radio, and isn't it all just a hoot, but his discovery of an apparent hoax hasn't made him rich yet.

Took just a little Googling to find the story in The Guardian. The man I overheard apparently was Paul Ingram, quoted as the "bookseller in Iowa" in the story. Wow. Talk about ticklin' my erudite side.

Here's the book in question (literally in question): Rohan Kriwaczek, An Incomplete History of the Art of the Funerary Violins (New York: Overlook, 2006) -- apparently more "incomplete" than the author intended.

Then, to a cigar-friendly coffee shop called Tobacco Bowl. A real dive kind of joint. Perfect place to scan The Nation and one of the books I picked up at Prairie Lights:

Bart D. Ehrman, Lost Christianities: The Battles for Scripture and the Faiths We Never Knew (New York: Oxford University Press, 2003). The headline on this post is a line from this book.

The other book I bought was the companion by Ehrman, Lost Scriptures: Books that Did Not Make It into the New Testament, same publisher, same year.

Books I did not buy include Bob Woodward's State of Denial: Bush at War, Part III, because it will be 30 percent off at B&N before you know it, and Susan Estrich, Soulless: Ann Coulter and the Right-Wing Church of Hate, but laughed so hard when I saw it that I startled some of the quiet Midwesterners who were browsing books, unaware of the Typically Loud and Large Oklahoman Erudite Redneck in their midst! I'll probably buy the Estrich book later for the cover alone.

Oh, and I found the steakhouse at which Dr. ER and I will dine Thursday night, Joseph's Steakhouse, also within walking distance of the hotel. Hoo boy. They are proud of their beef in Iowa. I'll have to eat cheap potted meat on crackers for a month to justify the expense. :-)
--ER

Comments:
Once drove 80 miles one way out to the Jemez Pueblo in New Mexico to find the whole damn thing was "Closed on Mondays".
Sorry about the museum.
I have both of those Erhman books plus some others of his. Read them again recently. They are not for the Bibical Literalist to say the least.
Also acquired the Dilbert author's books on Pandeism. Ready for a Bible study?

I'll be off and on for a while yet.
 
Hey, no sweat. It was way cool. I didn't know Jackson Pollock's "Mural" was here! And the African stuff was very interesting.
 
Jim Harris at Prairie Lights Books recently sent me an advance copy of AN INCOMPLETE HISTORY OF THE ART OF FUNERARY VIOLIN and I must take issue with his colleague Paul Ingram’s assessment that the book is a hoax. My belief is that the Rohan Kriwaczek hoax is itself a hoax.

Let me explain. I am the director of MuseumZeitraim Leipzig and a former curator at The Wassmann Foundation, Washington, D.C. Research and scholarship at both institutions confirms that the Leipzig composer Hugo Wassmann, brother of the renowned artist Johann Dieter Wassmann, was an active member of the Lutheran wing of Leipzig’s Guild of Funerary Violinists in the 1890s. Hugo’s ultimate falling out with the Guild came in 1901 over his efforts to introduce the saxophone to funerary rights, a practice that would eventually take hold in the city of New Orleans with great success, although not among Lutherans. Hugo was a former captain in the Prussian army and regularly composed military marches inclusive of the saxophone.

Here in Leipzig, the funerary violin has a long and crucial history, most often associated with Heironymous Gratchenfleiss. Gratchenfleiss’s extensive archives were in the care of
Musikinstrumenten-Museum der Universität Leipzig, part of the Grassi Museum, but lost forever when the complex was gutted by fire in an Allied bombing raid on 3 December 1943.

The un-sourced (and poorly translated) letter Kriwaczek quotes referencing Gratchenfleiss, dated 14 September 1787 (pp 62-63), which he simply describes as “by an unknown man named Fredrik,” is in fact by the pen of Fredrik Wassmann, grandfather of Johann and Hugo, describing the funeral of their great-grandfather, a funeral Gratchenfleiss performed. An original copy of the letter is in the archives of The Wassmann Foundation. The liberties Kriwaczek takes with his facts would appear to be part of a larger narrative strategy to make it appear he has created a hoax, when he hasn’t. What a dull book it would have been otherwise.

Intriguing.

Tschüss,

Sophie Vogt
Director
MuseumZeitraum Leipzig
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?