Monday, October 16, 2006

 

Redneck Erudite

First: John Ashcroft is live on Countdown with Keith Olbermann; my head is going to explode. ...

Redneck:

I have bought clothes two days at a row at truck stops: boo-boos yesterday (three-pack of FOTLs), and a pair of long shorts, for sleepin' drawers, today.

Dr. ER asked if I was gonna make a habit of expandin' my wardrobe along the highway and I said, "10-4."

Erudite:

We're here, at the Sheraton Iowa City, at the edge of the University of Iowa campus.

I will be left to my own devices tomorrow day. I have been alerted to Prairie Lights bookstore, which, along with a couple of cool bars and coffee shops, is within easy walking distance.

It's a particularly campusy lookin' campus, especially now, with fall in full swing around here, and today, with it blowy and dreary and rainy. This might make for a pretty good vacation for the E side of ER's personality.

I might go check out the history and/or American studies graduate programs.

--ER

Comments:
how do you blog and drive at the same time?

KEvron
 
Ah Iowa City, tourist mecca of the middle earth. Check out the University Art Museum, its worthwhile. The old Capitol Building (state capitol was in IC to start with). Drive out to the Ammana Colony and do your history thing. Drive down to Madison and visit old Fort Madison and explore the upper Mississippi which is a different world from the lower Mississippi. And Dude, the "antique" stores in Iowas actually have historical stuff in them. They are in every small town.
 
Exactly what I meant about the antique stores in the previous post! I went antiquing with a historian whose expertise was Jesse and Frank James. It was a fascinating adventure. You gotta!
 
OK, I gotta ask: Why do you by skivvies at a truck stop? Ain't there a Wal-Mart in Iowa? I was a readin' your prose to the love of my life, and she asked the question, too: Why is he buyin' clothes at a truck stop?

Ain't Wal-Mart rednecky enough?

BTW, we ain't that far off the planned path, and you could see beautiful northwest Missouri on your way back. Just sneak over at Albany on 136.
 
I am laughing at the thought of E.R. and Dr. E.R. following an itinerary posted willy-nilly on the blog. I can just picture them zigzagging through corn fields hitting all these locations. Although that could make for an interesting adventure sometime -- vacation by blogger recommendations on the fly. Hmmmm....
 
Say Wise Redneck Man so long as you willy-nilly around you might as well visit John Wayne's birthplace. It be a bit south of Des Moines off of I-35 and west some at state hwy 92. Winterset Iowa, it is at. Maybe comin home you could do that.
Fatman says to tell you that is Madison County as well. Winterset being the county seat and the covered bridge capitol of Iowa.
Anybody else got any itinerary suggestions for ER?
 
Boo-boos? As in, you had accidents in them? I think Dr. ER has more to worry about than just where you buy your clothes. :P
--Chandler
 
Good idea, Trixie!

I'd add Hannibal, MO, to the list o' places to visit, it being Mark Twain's childhood home. Actually, a visit to any of the locks on the Mississippi would be nice. When the weather's decent, picnicing near a lock and watching the barges is quite a lovely way to spend an hour or two.

And if you're up for some walking, you could always stroll along the Katy Trail for a bit. There's some nice sections between Matson and Marthasville (on highway 100, south of the Missouri River east of Jeff City) where there are also several wineries.
 
Sorry, Kiki, I'd have to say that's not a good idea, 'cause if'n he and the misses veture thataway, they ain't gonna see us. :-)
 
Dr. ER's car, being in Wichita, will pretty much dictate our route home. :-(
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?